• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A Question of Quality

67Survivor

Donation Time
I am curious about the quality of some of the different replacement parts available to us. There a a few main suppliers of parts for our Sunbeams, and I have noticed that some parts seem to have a major difference in cost from one supplier to the next. For example;

Lower ball joint from SS is $89.00
" from Victoria British is $29.95 on sale for $21.95

Upper Ball joint from SS is $68.90
" from Victoria British is $29.95 on sale for $21.95

Tie rod ends from SS are $38.50 pair
" from Victoria British are $29.95 pair on sale for $19.95

Inner wheel bearing from SS $22.95
" from Victoria British is $29.95

Rubber trim between the windshield frame and body at SS is $31.95
" " " " from Victoria British is $19.95

Rubber trim between windshield frame and glass at SS is $68.95
" " " " from Victoria British is $29.95

These are just a few examples of the variation in prices. Now, just to be clear, I think Rick at SS is top notch and I may even have a man crush on him for all of the great things he has done for myself and others, and I want to support his business. I also have not had great experiences with Victoria British (Long Motor Company) ex. -days of delay between placing an order and it being shipped. - terrible job of packaging (one layer of tape on the box- every box has arrived here open, and some never made it at all).

The end all be all for me is quality. Are we getting what we pay for when we pay as much as double the cost ? I'm not trying to be critical of SS, I just want good value for my dollar. Any input would be great. Thank you.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I would suspect the vb rubbers might be generic, on the suspension parts , you would have to assume VB are selling correct parts ( I know not always, but these are a safety liability thing) I doubt there are multiple manufacturers these days for our suspension parts , so would be interesting to know what VB are selling.

This does however remind me I have an SS order to make.

65beam

Donation Time
quality

Rick's many years of Sunbeam ownership and selling parts has taught him what he needs to sell to cover todays needs. that means the cost of correct parts would cost more. Ask someone on the phone at VB about Sunbeams or parts and they don't have a clue. it all boils down to an old phrase. PAY NOW OR PAY LATER. VB is not the only supplier in the states that has problems.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
I would suspect (and my experience) a classic car supplier, like Rick or any one else who specializes in a specific type of car "only" and no other would have the right stuff at a fair price. That being said doesn't negate the fact that there are places that have a corner on a specific market and will take advantage of that niche (also my experence:rolleyes:). Personally, I like Rick and have had great dealings with him ... he's even sent me parts free if he's made a mistake on my orders without asking for the wrong ones to be returned! .. Integrity is something worth paying a little extra for. Just my two bits worth ... and I have never met Rick in person or know him personally.

..... David

Michael ... Just sent Rick my order in today!

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
I have posted previously on this subject where I've pointed out VB parts that were just flat out wrong. One big example is their brake master cylinder for Series 5 that has the non-removable reservoir on top of the cylinder and not as separate as is correct. It won't fit if you have the standard Stromberg carbs on the car. They've continued to list that item for years despite me writing to them on more than one occasion. This to me falls under the "don't care" category.

Here is another different type of example where the parts are very different in price and when you get the two side by side, you see why. I am speaking about the DC53 Door Window Seal from SS. They are $34.90 a pair. It comes with the embedded metal strip and is molded to be a direct replacement for the original with VERY little trimming. Compare that to the T-4-6 Outside Window Trim from VB at $10.95, which is a roll of formed rubber with no metal strip, no cutouts or special molding. The SS one goes right on. The VB one I have here is free for the asking. See photo. I have a box of stuff labeled VB Junk. But I HAVE gotten some decent stuff there.

Last, but certainly not least, let us not forget Curt Meinel at Classic Sunbeam for parts. He has done me well.

Rick

Attachments

• P1090711r.jpg
    P1090711r.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 26

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Yep ... I forgot to mention Curt ... He also has sent me extras on an order that was short by accident, free of charge and a wealth of information as well. ..... Speedy spares and Rootes Vintage Parts across the pond have also been a good bet when parts locally are not available among others ... Never dealt with VB but I notice Sunbeams are not their personal choice of ownership, that and supplying parts for several other cars may be part of the issue.

.... David

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have purchased many parts from Rick at SS and have almost always been happy with the quality, and the service and understanding about what I am ordering. I have also ordered a few parts from VB when the pricing difference seems too great. I have found VB ball joints quite OK, no problems, for example. But several times parts did not fit or were of the wrong size, shape, or whatever. In each case the customer "service" person was totally unable to understand the issue at all and seemed to have no access to any knowledgeable resource. All they could do was offer a refund upon return. In several cases I tried to explain to the lady that she really needed to inform the appropriate person in the company that the part they were selling for this would not do the job for ANY Alpine owner and that there was likely a mix up in P/N or something. Never got any satisfaction on that. Best example I can think of was the Stainless Steel exhaust system I ordered from VB. Nice price on sale. All fit well EXCEPT the Y-pipe. The twin pipes on the inlet portion were too close together and you could not get a U bolt clamp to go around either pipe. I am pretty damn good at explaining things by phone, but I could not get the lady to understand that the part they shipped me was useless to ANYONE trying to install it on any Alpine and that someone needed to look at their stock and send any similar defective Y-pipes back to their supplier. All she could do was offer a refund upon return. So I ordered a Y-pipe from Rick and got my refund from VB.

Tom

65beam

Donation Time
quality

Tom,
The people you talk to when calling VB are probably not even employees of VB. It's very possible that they work for a telemarketer company under contract to take calls and parts orders. Everything they need to place the order is on screen and all they need are part numbers, payment info and ship to. That's all they can do. it's kinda like walking into Mc Donalds and asking the kid at the counter if he knows the amount of salt on the quarter pounder. It's called out sourcing. The people on the phone may not even be in the states.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
One of my first purchases from VB involved a brake adjuster. They come in left hand and right hand thread versions. Needed a right hand thread, they sent left hand thread. Could not get them to understand the difference! They did give me a refund. My purchases from them have been very few. That said, their windshields are a good deal.

They definitely are not car people, let alone Sunbeam knowledgeable.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was curious....?

And visiting my younger son a couple hours away, I decided to pay a visit to VB.

There store display was interesting (several years ago). Mostly MG stuff. The Customer Rep was not very knowledgeable of the Sunbeam parts of which I was making inquiry.

Their carpet, not on display was inferior. But, I did buy a windshield which was a good fit for one of my cars. I looked at their exhaust (not on display) but did not make a purchase. Went with Rick or Curt, can;t remember. Their sheet metal did not satisfy.

Sure would have liked to have met the "Lady" Owner for a discussion, Maybe another time when passing thru Kansas?

DanR

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
My opinion, OK, yeah, everyone has one. LOL

Anyway, when a company is specializing in one automobile, there is only so much money to be made. Tough job. Basically they're supporting a Hobby. If they can't make a profit they go out of business, and the parts then become pretty hard if not impossible to get. Example, I used to go to a local Hardware store for hard to find bits and pieces. Just try to go to Home Depot, or Lowes to find that special bolt, or numbered drill, or that rare muffler roller bearing.

I used to have a GTO, Yes, a lot of Chevrolet parts were the same as Pontiac, and the retailer would tell me: The part will work. I don't want a part that will work, I want one that fits correctly and made for my car.

Yes, there are generic parts out there that are probably carried by both the Sunbeam retailers, and the multi-car retailers, but if you don't support your Sunbeam retailers........................

After all, it really is a hobby, not too many of us are using these cars as a must use daily driver. You can afford a few extra bucks for the correct parts, and usually be a lot happier with the product. And no, I don't have a whole bunch of bucks to give away, I usually have to scrimp and save recycled cans and bottles to support my hobby.
Support yours.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
I know where your coming from Jim .... With one kid in College and one kid still in High School my Hobby takes back seat ... recycling helps a little and working on others cars as well as the occasional sale on ebay affords me this pleasurable hobby. .. "Opinions" ... Reminds me of what my now departed "Dear 'ol Pop" would say on that ... David! ... Opinions are like rear ends, everyone has one though they may look a little different from each other .. what comes outa' them most of the time is the same 'ol crap! .... :D

..... David

67Survivor

Donation Time
Thank you everyone for your opinion, or 2 cents worth etc. This is very much what I expected to hear. I very much like supporting "The Little Guy" and don't have a problem paying a little bit more to keep them up and running. Especially when that little bit more comes with MUCH more knowledge and advice, or a better fit. Now get off the forum and into your cars...
Rob

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Many many years ago we restored a couple of Sunbeams. Used Rick at SS a whole bunch. This was even when our poor dollar was under 70 cents US. Rick used to joke I,was speed listed as a contributor to,his pension fund . today I,would still buy from him as he is the best as far as I'm concerned
However today finds us with finished cars and a bunch of this and that on the shelfs.
And yes VB had good windshields at a great price. Only bought a couple of items other than the windshield.

65beam

Donation Time
quality

There is one advantage we have today that wasn't there in the 70's and 80's. we can pay in different ways other than mailing a check or even cash. There were a couple guys on the east coast ( NY/NJ ) that either took their good old time getting items to you or kept your money and never shipped the part. I know a few people that still haven't received their parts they bought from these guys. Once Tiger Tom retired we were left with one supplier. Sunbeam Specialties. Pay now or pay later.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm still waiting for the soft top I paid for and ordered from the guy in NJ in the early 80's!

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
He must have forgot to send ....?

Eric, I hope I never get to the place where I don't complete "The Deal".

Maybe, just maybe if I live long enough I may have a memory lapse;) You have my permission to bring to remembrance!

DanR

P.S. The wife says I already have the memory lapse! Ha! Ha!

RootesRooter

Donation Time
If the price is right and there's no question of whether or not the part will fit, I'll throw VB a bone now and then. eg. 1725 oil pumps. It's better to have more Sunbeam parts suppliers. I always wonder where they came up with those lifters that all have a chip out of the top ridge.