• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A New One On Me

coolcat

Donation Time
I opened up my trunk the other day and discovered my spare had a blowout while sitting in the trunk. I had checked the pressure a month or so ago and added air to 30 lbs. The blow out is right across the center of the tire with the steel belt showing. Anyone know what would cause this? See pic. Ed

http://www.use.com/f1aca67ef90c3fc541de

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
The tire appears to have hit an object such as a house brick while on the car. This could have happened years ago causing the cords to tear but the damage not be visible. The extra pressure may have finally caused the remaining cords to fracture. You were lucky that the tire was in the boot when it finally blew.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The tire looks like it had some miles put on it. Could flatspotting from the car sitting in one spot for a long time (years) cause a belt fracture and eventually burst like that while just sitting in the trunk?

Jim E

Donation Time
Cool,
Got no idea why your spare blew out, but....here you are about as old as pocket on a shirt and you can post a picture on the WWW and then link it to a website! Dang Cool you are the man! there are guys here who are not as old as your socks who cannot do that!

Two things, it is going to be good to see you here in SC and why the heck didn't I buy your Tigpine

Dusty Bin

Donation Time
In the UK tyres have a shelf life to be able to pass an M.O.T. because of such failures.
I don't know how long you have had the tyre but it shows a pattern that indicates that the tyre has gone flat at some time whilst under load. (possibly still on the car) The steel bracing has creased causing damage to the rubber case. At pressure in the boot or on the car being driven, heat and cooling will cause the rubber to expand and contract at a slightly different rate to the steel webbing deteriorating the integrity of the tyre untill........
I've had a catastrofic failure like this on a motorway doing 80mph. not pleasant, rubber and webbing tore the wheel arch and wing to shreds and the car was a real bitch to control. Have also seen a case of a 2006 registered Range Rover that the spare was allowed to go flat in the boot/trunk and reinflated to be used as a puncture replacement, when in use the steel webbing had come away within the rubber sandwich and poked thru the outer wall so that up to three inches of single strands were visible throughout the full circumference

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
New to not only you. Never heard of that happen before. However as pointed out, the tire clearly has seen use so who knows what may have happened before. It didn't get accidentally over inflated did it?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
It almost looks like the underside of the trunk lid was pressing down on that part of the tire.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Tires/Tyres

Speaking of which. I have an Astro Van, purchased "NEW" tires several years ago. Ran about 15k and had a problem with 2 bulging, RF & LR .

I went back to the seller, a very popular one here in the NW Les Swabs (sp) any way, They would NOT take care of the tires as they were over" get this" 8 years old and "the warrentie" was out of date.. I even had the sales slip.
Guess who I do not do business with now. :mad::mad:
Tires go with out your permission ..
Cheers
chuck