• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

90 Degree Oil Filter Adapter

Mark T

Donation Time
I'm trying to find a 90 degree oil filter adapter for my '78 Mustang II 2.8 engine. I thought that I had found it at Summit (Ford Racing Part # M-6880-A50) but when I checked their application list the '74-'78 Mustang II wasn't listed. Does anybody know what the part number is for the one that fits the Mustang II 2.8s or where I could get one? Thanks!

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I got mine from Summit. I did have to shorten the bolt a bit to make it fit, but my engine is from a Ranger/Bronco II.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
You should be able to find one at your friendly auto wrecking yard. Any Ranger/Bronco II, 2.6/2.9/4.0 V6 should have one on it. It will be a direct bolt on too. The early Pinto V6 cars, also have one, but it uses a smaller and more expensive oil filter, because the adapter makes the filter sit closer to the pan rail, because of the tight confines of the Pinto engine bay. The Ranger/Bronco II use the normal Ford filter that you can get anywhere.

Jose :)

Mark T

Donation Time
Thanks Guys! I'll start with the wrecking yard that sold me a turbo 4 or 5.0 T5 tranny when I requested a 3.8. They owe me!

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Check your local Ford dealer. If you don't find it there, you can go to a seal house and see if they have some.

I did call the Ford dealer when I was looking for that bronze washer (which they couldn't locate either); I had to shorten the mounting bolt before the assembly would seal against the block. The parts guy at the dealer, whom I've worked with before and is pretty good, said the whole assembly was obsolete. Ford Racing sells the complete assembly to Summit, but I don't think they sold the o-rings separately. I'd advise anyone putting one on to be very careful about that outer o-ring, which is about the size of a rubber band. I almost tore up up on my first assembly attempt but coated it with dielectric grease the second time, just to keep it in the little groove and from slipping out when the assembly is tightened. May be it's some kind of standard size that can be easily replaced though.

Jim E

Donation Time
I got the O ring from the local Ford dealer. Let me warn you these are not a piece of cake to pull off at the pick a part..... I sugest you look for a ranger/bronco that someone has pulled the heads off makes it much easier and still the exh manifold is in the way. You should have no trouble finding one with the heads pulled on a 2.9 anything due to the high failure rate of those heads.

britbeam

Donation Time
Just a suggestion ,I found its better to install the oil filter adapter etc. after the engine is installed. My personal prference. I just dont like extra stuff hanging off the engine when I go to stick it down in that ity bity engine compartment.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Mark T

Donation Time
Thanks Dwain! That's a good idea. I'll probably mount it before I install the engine to see if I have to shorten the bolt like Sam did and then take it back off until the engine is in.

On a different topic, I don't know what's going on with the T5 that I have. As we discussed at Invasion I was told that it was from a '97 Mustang with the 3.8 V6. I figured that I was given the wrong one and that it was from either a turbo 4 or a V8 as it has the short input shaft. I took the number off the tag (1352-238) and according to the 'Bruce Couture's Modern Driveline' site it's from a '95 - '97 3.8 litre. Not sure why it has the shorter shaft. Maybe the Canadian Mustang V6s used a different T5???

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mark,

Have you measured the difference between your input shaft and an early one? Since the difference is small, it would be hard to see it without measuring the two, or having the two transmisions sitting side by side. If your Transmission is from the later Mustang, it would have to be longer, because the later bellhousing is deeper than the early ones, to accommodate the longer Mustang body, which was stretched.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Mark and I have both gone around with this. We both have input shafts that are 6.25 inches long. I'm taking my T5 to a shop this week to have it checked out and will ask if that's the right length. All of the T5s on the charts have input shafts listed as longer than 7".

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Mark and I have both gone around with this. We both have input shafts that are 6.25 inches long. I'm taking my T5 to a shop this week to have it checked out and will ask if that's the right length. All of the T5s on the charts have input shafts listed as longer than 7".
The problem with what is listed for a 7"+ length, is if they are counting over all length, meaning from the very back of the gear, or if they are listing just the length of the splined shaft end.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Just ask one of the guys that has an early T5 that might be sitting on the floor, to measure his from the tip of the shaft, to the face of the transmission case. Then you can compare it to the measurement on yours.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Jim Ellis has been meaning to do this on the one he pulled, but I don't think he's back from Ohio yet. Jim, are you out there?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I just measured mine, which is off of a 2002 3.8L Mustang. From the transmission housing to the tip of the input shaft ("B" in the chart) I get 7 13/16, which would be 7.8125, which is about 1/6 off the measurement on the link Husky Driver sent and probably due to the way I measured. However - and this is a very big "however" - while mine is theoretically all prepped and ready to go, it has never been mounted to an engine. So I have no way of knowing if everything will fit properly.

Mark T

Donation Time
Mine is from a '97 Mustang 3.8 V6 and I get the same measurement (~ 7 7/8") for the input shaft. I was hoping to get one from a newer car but according to the dimensions link that Don posted I'm lucky that I didn't (thanks Don for the great info). The PO installed an aluminum plate mount for the C4 automatic that I was able to reuse for the T5. The newer T5s have the mounting bolts an inch closer to the tailstock so I wouldn't have been able to use the existing mount with the newer ones.