• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

8 1/2" clutch plate?

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
Not sure if this post should come under 'Stock Alpine' or not?

I'm hoping to fit the flywheel and 8 1/2" clutch from a Holbay engined Sunbeam Rapier to my SIV Alpine project. Does anyone knows if this mod will work?

I do know that I will need to obtain a 10 spline 8 1/2" clutch plate to fit the Alpine transmission input shaft. I think that the early Commer vans and campers may have used an 8 1/2" 10 spline clutch plate but I'm not sure? I'm also wondering if the larger throw out bearing fitted to the Holbay cars will fit the standard SIV alpine clutch fork and if it does.. will the clutch operate as it should?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Stuart

Jim E

Donation Time
I use the Volvo 140 series disc, think some of the early 240 series also had the one inch ten spline 8 1/2 inch disc. The pressure plate also fits but requires a roller style throw out, the MGB P/P that carries the carbon throw out is also a fit. With this set up it requires the early fork and pivot and larger diameter throw out, imagine the Holbay stuff will to. I do know I would check that it has enough travel on the garage floor and not with it all bolted together in the car....

AlpineII

Donation Time
I had been under the impression that there had been more than one size of clutch plates used on the Alpines and that maybe the earlier Alpines had larger dirven plates. Anyone know for certain?

Jim E

Donation Time
Yep the early cars as in pretty much anything but the SV had 8 inch or maybe called 8 1/2 inch clutches the SV has 7 1/4 inch clutch.