• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

69 Coupe in the denver area

65beam

Donation Time
69 coupe

he's listing it as a GT, but it' not a GT. it's the alpine with the cast iron head motor.

RootesRich

Donation Time
This is very close to my neighborhood so if any interested buyers would like me to take a closer look, feel free to PM me.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Limited to what's shown in the photos, a '69 GT should have a "GT" badge on the C-post. This one has the Coupe's 'crowned hound.' Also, the GT dash has many more gauges, a wood veneer-covered center console, chrome trim around the windows, different hubcaps, trim pieces that cover the entire rocker area, and the trim around the headlights would be painted black.

From a scavenging point of view, the Coupe didn't have the GT's aluminum oil pan, but does have the rear-seat "Rootes" seat belts that fit Series Alpines. It should also have a 3.89 diff.

65beam

Donation Time
69 coupe

the instrument panel is one of the big difference between the two models. the coupe has two large gauges in front of the driver. one is the speedometer, the other has a water temp guage and an idiot light for oil pressure. at the top between these you will find a fuel guage and above those three other idiot lights. the GT has a speedometer and tach with the fuel in between . there is a series of three guages to the right of the speedometer and tach. these are the water temp,alternator & the oil pressure is to the far right next to the glove box. most coupes have a block off plate in the clock opening in the front of the console and the console has no wood veneer. the GT also has grab handles in the headliner above the windows. the coupe didn't. the steering wheel on the GT has a GT emblem in the center. there also is a difference in the seats,but only someone with a good knowledge of these cars would notice this. originally only the GT had bumper over riders but this car has no bumpers. outside ,the GT had black vinyl on the c post and GT emblems. the coupe was body color. if it still has the original windshield, rear windows and triangle rear side windows you will find the GT has stainless trim around the windows. the coupe had a chrome colored tube instead of the stainless trim. there also is a difference in the width of the moulding across the trunk. the GT has one about three inchs wide,the coupe half that width. the GT had lights in the glove box and trunk, none on the coupe. another big difference is the engines. cast iron head, single carb on the coupe. aluminum head,dual carbs on the GT. there were many other differences such as the trunk mat ,under hood insulation ,etc. some other differences were mentioned by a previous poster. if anyone looks at one and wants to know what it is post some photos and i can probably help you out since i have several of both. i also have parts books that cover every model that was sold every where in the world. a lot of the above did change with the 1970 models but i have never run across one here in the states. anyone out there have a 1970 or later?

RootesRooter

Donation Time
There's a fellow south of Portland, Oregon who probably still has his '70 GT automatic -it was stored inside in very good condition as of a dozen years ago. The only noticeable differences from a '69 that I remember was the dashboard and center console were changed to a sort of brushed steel look instead of wood. I vaguely recall the guages changing too but can't be sure. This was about the time Chrysler first ran into financial difficulties and started cutting back on new model investment at Rootes/Chrysler U.K..

the instrument panel is one of the big difference between the two models. the coupe has two large gauges in front of the driver. one is the speedometer, the other has a water temp guage and an idiot light for oil pressure. at the top between these you will find a fuel guage and above those three other idiot lights. the GT has a speedometer and tach with the fuel in between . there is a series of three guages to the right of the speedometer and tach. these are the water temp,alternator & the oil pressure is to the far right next to the glove box. most coupes have a block off plate in the clock opening in the front of the console and the console has no wood veneer. the GT also has grab handles in the headliner above the windows. the coupe didn't. the steering wheel on the GT has a GT emblem in the center. there also is a difference in the seats,but only someone with a good knowledge of these cars would notice this. originally only the GT had bumper over riders but this car has no bumpers. outside ,the GT had black vinyl on the c post and GT emblems. the coupe was body color. if it still has the original windshield, rear windows and triangle rear side windows you will find the GT has stainless trim around the windows. the coupe had a chrome colored tube instead of the stainless trim. there also is a difference in the width of the moulding across the trunk. the GT has one about three inchs wide,the coupe half that width. the GT had lights in the glove box and trunk, none on the coupe. another big difference is the engines. cast iron head, single carb on the coupe. aluminum head,dual carbs on the GT. there were many other differences such as the trunk mat ,under hood insulation ,etc. some other differences were mentioned by a previous poster. if anyone looks at one and wants to know what it is post some photos and i can probably help you out since i have several of both. i also have parts books that cover every model that was sold every where in the world. a lot of the above did change with the 1970 models but i have never run across one here in the states. anyone out there have a 1970 or later?

65beam

Donation Time
69 coupe

i would say that chrysler saved a bunch of money by getting rid of the wood dash and the wood console pieces. tiger tom and i were discussing this a couple evenings ago. a neighbor of his made a new dash for my white car and it was quite a chore. he started with marine grade plywood and walnut veneer. the problem was getting the back right so the instruments would set right and also the proper bevel in the instrument opening. we're going to make a new console section now. it seems like chrysler dumped a bunch of 68/69's into the market and a lot of them are still out there, but i have not seen a 1970 or later. i wonder what the sales numbers here in the U.S. were for 68/69 versus 1970 on.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The Coupe model (also sold in England as the Sunbeam Alpine) didn't come out til '69. I've only seen one GT that I thought was a '68. It didn't have the high-back seats that I think we're required starting in '69.

Now that I think about it, wasn't Tiger Tom's old rotary fastback GT a '70? I seem to recall the brushed-steel dash and console in that one too. Was it ever rebuilt after the wreck coming home from SUNI I?

i would say that chrysler saved a bunch of money by getting rid of the wood dash and the wood console pieces. tiger tom and i were discussing this a couple evenings ago. a neighbor of his made a new dash for my white car and it was quite a chore. he started with marine grade plywood and walnut veneer. the problem was getting the back right so the instruments would set right and also the proper bevel in the instrument opening. we're going to make a new console section now. it seems like chrysler dumped a bunch of 68/69's into the market and a lot of them are still out there, but i have not seen a 1970 or later. i wonder what the sales numbers here in the U.S. were for 68/69 versus 1970 on.

65beam

Donation Time
69 coupe

i finished parting out a GT and a coupe about a month ago. the GT had a date of 7/22/69 stamped on the back of the glove box door ,the coupe had a date of 6/6/69 stamped on it yet the coupe has a vin number 1500 numbers later than the GT so they must have started making parts early. production must have started early or mid 69 in order to get the cars to the U.S. i looked at the actual chrysler press photos and letter that i have and they do say not for release before tuesday october 7,1969. this does sound strange since this was at a time that new cars would have been titled 1970. as for tiger tom's car ,i always thought it was a 69. i looked back at some photos i took at the bash in the mid 80's and it has the 69 backup lights and also the 69 trunk moulding. on the 70 model, i think the backup lights were moved to the trunk and the moulding was deleted. TT offered me the car after it was wrecked, but it required an entire rear clip ( frame rails,etc ) so i passed on it. brian boyer did buy it and another car TT had and i have heard that the rear section may have been changed out but that was twenty years ago. my wife bought all the other new and used parts that tom had for the fastbacks for my birthday present. TT and i are working on a project for one of my fastbacks so when i talk to him next week i'll try to remember to ask what year it was.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
On a slightly different topic, did any US or Canada Arrow alpine/rapiers come with the 5 main 1496 engine?

Its always scared me that some did and somehow I will someday try to use
one of their cranks in a 1725.

Should I start looking at pin offsets when I pull apart 5 main motors?

I have to date parted 4 5 main long blocks with arrow serial numbers.
Have I been getting lucky on the cranks?

65beam

Donation Time
69 coupe

i have sales literature for the fastbacks from several other countries and they all show the 1725. the press release letter that i have refers to two models for sale in the U.S and canada and list two versions of the 1725. the 1496 was used in the 69 minx in the U.K. and the arrow sold here had the 1725. i'll go thru my sales literature this weekend and see if i find anything else that may have had the 1496. i also have a parts book that list all models of this range so it should be easy to find where else the 1496 was used. what motor was in the cricket?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
what motor was in the cricket?

Its called a 1500, the specific displacement I dont recall (perhaps 1498).
In any case, its totally unrelated engine to the 1725.

The 1496 however was a destroked 1725, which I figured was the engine fitted to the cost reduced alpine.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
On a slightly different topic, did any US or Canada Arrow alpine/rapiers come with the 5 main 1496 engine?

Its always scared me that some did and somehow I will someday try to use
one of their cranks in a 1725.

Should I start looking at pin offsets when I pull apart 5 main motors?

I have to date parted 4 5 main long blocks with arrow serial numbers.
Have I been getting lucky on the cranks?

I think that engine used longer rods instead of different pistons.

P

paul

Hello I'm Paul.
I own the car and just going buy the emblem on the back. I bought it thinking it was going to get crushed by the yard.
Here is a pic from the back.

Paul

Attachments

• Copy of DSC05170.jpg
    Copy of DSC05170.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 40

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Hello Paul,

On your add, it doesnt say much about the motor probs.

We all know this motor fairly well, what exactly is the problem with it?

Is it a twin or single carb motor?

65beam

Donation Time
69 coupe

paul,
you're not the first person to think they were all GT's and you won't be the last. did not know the difference myself years ago. the two models look the same since they are the same body except chrysler decided to sell it in two versions. not one of chrysler's best ideas since they used two different motors based on the same block but entirely different in many other ways. found that out the hard way in the early 80's. your's looks to be a pretty solid ,straight body car. you should be able to move this car pretty easily. sell it to the guy living a few miles from you.

P

paul

# 3 rod is through the block.
single carb setup.

It is really straight.

Paul

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Ah, yes. That "GT" badge on the trunk lid would have fooled just about anyone.

Hello I'm Paul.
I own the car and just going buy the emblem on the back. I bought it thinking it was going to get crushed by the yard.
Here is a pic from the back.

Paul