• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

6700 mile trip planned

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Group, As many of you know, my buddy, Bob, and I have driven my SV from Cleveland west 2 times in past 8 yrs. These trips were phase 1 and 2 of a redo of a trip Bob and I did in a SIV in 1965. This year year we are doing the 3rd and final phase of the redo.

On or about Aug 11, Bob will head west from Cleveland, alone in my Alpine - travelling to Nashville, TN, then Austin,TX, and then on to his home near Albuquerque. He will have our gear, my tools, and few spare parts. He's a real Road Warrior and a darn good mechanic, but of course not as familiar with the Alpine as I am. If he encounters any problems I am hoping a handy Forum member along the way can help.

Then on Sept 10 Bob will drive to LasVegas. I will fly there on Sept 11 and we will head on to Fresno,CA. Next day to Hayward and SF area. Then down the PCH to the LA area, back to LV, Grand Canyon NP, various parts of CO. We'll be in Denver or CoSprs, Sept 23. Bob will fly home from there and I will drive alone to KC for an antique Carousel Convention (wife flies in), then Sept 29 I will head home (alone) via Indianapolis. Again, if we need help it wil be good to know who's nearby and available for assistance. Also, it would be neat to connect with a few Forum members along the way. In the previous 2 trips, I've met up with about 3 dozen members, incl many at the Winona Invasion and the Colorado Conclave, and many individual stops.

You can connect wih me via post here or send me an e-mail- just click on my name and click "send an e-mail". I prefer not to use PM's - too little msg storage.

I will post updates as the trip nears and as it progresses.

Tom Hayden

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Tom,
Sounds like a lot of driving and a lot of fun. Let me know if you get near Dallas and stop by. There are at least 4 Alpines in the Dallas area. I also know folks in Austin if you need anything there; one of them is a former college roomie back when we both drove TR3A roadsters and he knows how to get things fixed.;)

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I doubt you're coming near me (I'll give all help if you do), but I'd suggest servicing/replacing front wheel bearings before you leave. Don't ask why I suggest it.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tom, Sorry you are not coming up this way. Enjoyed meeting you and Bob, wish we had more time.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I will drive alone to KC for an antique Carousel Convention (wife flies in), then Sept 29 I will head home (alone) via Indianapolis.

KC to Indy via my house is only 15 minutes slower than the direct route. I will be out of town late September but should be back by the 29th. You have a place to stay or just stop and stretch your legs in St. Louis if you want it. It would be great to see you.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, I hope we get a chance to connect. Send me an e-mail - click on my name and select "send an e-mail" Tom

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just an update. Bob left Cleveland in my Alpine on Sun, Aug 11. He is has made it to Austin, TX with no problems, except lots of rain, and will be heading to Albuquerque on Friday. Long haul to ABQ. Then he'll head to LV on Sept 10 and we connect Sept 11.

Tom

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Update: Bob has made it home to Albuquerque in my Alpine. 730 miles in 13 hours in one loooong drive. He reports that the Alpine (with Weber 32/36) is getting harder and harder to re-start when warm. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Tom

chazza

Donation Time
Weak spark, or an excessively rich mixture.

Check the spark at the plug, it should be strong and blue if not investigate the complete system including the coil.

Rich mixture - make sure that the choke, or fuel enrichment device has not been left on accidentally or that it is stuck on,

Cheers Charlie

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Charlie. I'm inclined to think rich as well. One thing Bob said was that "stepping on the accellerator 3-4 times didn't seem to help" :( . I have suggested he step once and hold it open.

Tom

bmohr

Gold Level Sponsor
Perhaps get a $25 Infrared thermometer with laser sight from HarborFreight and see if there are hot spots on the carb or fuel line.

That was assuming it's cranking easily, but not starting. Also that it's running well once started. If it's a cranking problem maybe starter getting too hot or even battery might be getting hot and having trouble delivering the cranking amps. A trip by Autozone should be able to check starter draw and battery condition. Also the infrared thermometer could tell how hot the starter is.

That's my Texas Two Cents. :)

bmohr

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Charlie. I'm inclined to think rich as well. One thing Bob said was that "stepping on the accellerator 3-4 times didn't seem to help" :( . I have suggested he step once and hold it open.

Tom

I remember a long time ago a gas commercial with an auto tip about flooding where they suggested hold the gas pedal wide open and crank while spelling 'Gulf' -- guess what kind of commercial it was! Then let off the pedal entirely and crank. I know it's carburetor 101, but might be worth a try.

Another thought about heat. If it's worse simply from being in Texas and/or Albuquerque it might just be that the heat doesn't dissipate well because our ambient temperature is already pretty high. Maybe something as simple as opening the hood while gassing it up or other leaving it popped but not open while going into the store would help.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Good suggestions, Bill. We'll see how it does over next couple weeks before we connect in LasVegas. Tom

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Tom

The starter could b e drawing too many amps when hot.
Coming back from a long trip we had to park on an incline so it would roll and could start it.New starter and no more problems

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Chuck, the starter is quite new. Replaced it in Seattle on the 2011 trip! I'm pretty sure the problem is too rich a mixture. We'll see when I catch up to Bob.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Tom

re 6700 mile trip.I think you will have to rethink how many miles in a long long trip
Our Classic and antique club had this fellow from Holland who is making a world tour in a 1915 Model A come out on a run with the old steam engine and vintage cars we drive along the road by the tracks.Thats right.a 1915 Model At was even built in Canada.We had 3 Ts out as well.His web site is

WWW.modeltworldtour.com.

They already have done Europe and Africa

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Chuck, the starter is quite new. Replaced it in Seattle on the 2011 trip! I'm pretty sure the problem is too rich a mixture. We'll see when I catch up to Bob.

Tom
It well may be too rich.
As well I would check the point gap. A few thou too close will givew these symptoms when hot
If not I would definitley check to see how many amps the starter is drawing when hot

Last edited:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Very impressive! By the way, I've never said our Alpine trips were long. It's just that they were longer than many Alpine enthusiasts try. In our 2005 trip after we left you and Ollie, we ran into a young couple in Jasper driving around the world in a Land Rover. Their website is still up:
http://www.lollysglobaltrek.co.uk/diary.htm.

I do love being on the road!

Tom

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Update: Bob made it from ABQ to LV and picked me up at the airport. We drove across the Mohave desert and up to Fresno, No problems. On to SF and the bay area today.

Tom