• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

67?

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
I assumed it was a UK thing as lighting regs varied across the pond. But I didn't think they carried the round lights this late even over there.

Rick

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I like the RHD, SAOCA sticker, and the European trailer hitch and light socket!

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
What an odd engine VIN, both in stamping and the number itself. Starts with B226.... Even the Aussies' list doesn't show its origin - unless I totally missed it.

Rootes,

Speculation - that serial number list has never been all inclusive. I don't think I've ever seen serial numbers listed for the Commer series of vehicles. Also if you study the list a bit, you'll note that there is only a short period of use of eight digits after the "B" decade identifier, a period around '64 - '65. Before is seven digits and after is AC ( after Chrysler ) when the VIN's moved to nine digits.

Don't forget that this car was reworked in the UK.

I'm reasonably sure the Commer Cob was still being produced concurrently with the Husky III. The Husky III only got 1592's in export units. The home market Husky III's retained the use of 1390's. I presume the Cob model also retained the 1390. The contemporary "CampMobile" was supplied with a 1592 engine, IIRC. I'm not positive, but I think the 1494's had been dropped from production at that point. IF these guesses are close to correct, then the engine in question is probably a 1390 or 1592 because the time slot is too early for a 1725. ( Also note the dipstick appears longer than usual as well as having a "side" finger loop instead of a centralized loop as most 1725's) It would depend on which model vehicle the engine was assigned to - I'm only guessing it was a Commer.

Maybe one of our UK members has better information and will comment.

I don't claim to be right, just extrapolating small bits of information I can find.

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Looking at the two switches on the steering column this may have overdrive
Good eye. There is a close up photo of the speedo and it is almost definitely an OD speedo. It is certainly an interesting car and the owner (or previous owner) is or was a member here. Maybe he or she is still around and will let us know more about this curious car. Actually, now that I write this, I will send the seller a note with a link to this page and see if we can learn more.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Good observation about the eight-digit VIN.

Looking closely, there's room for a 9th number in between the two groups of four. Looking verrry closely, it almost looks like a very faint zero in that spot.

Last edited: