• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

'67 radiator source ?

philt

Donation Time
Hello all,
My recently purchased , stock SV will be getting a neat , improved ( From SS) timing cover and oil pan gasket. Since the radiator will likely be removed , good time to address the cooling problem. On a 90 degrees day cruising temp is about 115 C indicated and in slow traffic raises to all most 125.
Heater core is connected.
Plan to block the horn holes.
Will inspect the pump impeller.
Will be installing a electric pusher fan and inspecting what looks to be a clean the rad but thinking a good time to replace with a 3 row ( aluminum?) unit. Before I take it to a local shop for a re-core, anyone got a source for a fresh 3 tube ?
Phil in Tenn

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'd start with verifying the accuracy of the temperatures you are reporting. Are you looking at the temperature gauge only, or have you used an infrared thermometer to check the temperature of the water outlet pipe and radiator inlet? If you are only reporting the temperature gauge reading, that could be inaccurate for various reasons, such as a faulty voltage stabilizer or a faulty temperature sender. Some gauge troubleshooting info is available at: http://mhartman.net/files/sunbeam/fuel & temp gauges.pdf

Mike

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
I agree with Mike, the indicated temp just may be inaccurate. I know that was my case, the sender and indicator were not compatible and I kept getting an inaccurate reading.
With a stock radiator (cleaned), a new water pump, the correct sender (no, can't tell you what the correct one is) I run consistently around 85-87 C maybe 95 C on the hottest days here in So. Cal.
I kind of freak out if it get's up into the 90's range. I actually run a bit hotter at freeway speeds than in town
I don't know enough about the effects of timing and carb settings on temps, so will let someone else jump in on that. But I contend that with the system working correctly, one shouldn't need all the bigger radiator, or fans, or such. Maybe I'm just lucky to have or not have the overheating problems with a stock setup.
Good luck with your Alpine.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a shop that does the 3 tube 14 to 17 fins per inch on my Alpine Radiators which are all copper.

If you have a spare radiator if a good olde time Shop and have them make one for you.

Of course, check out all the recommendations given above first.