• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

67 Alpine rebuild with Miata 1.6

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Very nice ride and I love the classic green. I am also in Texas (if your van plate is right) near Rising Star. Putting a 2.3 in a 67. If not to bold, what part of Texas are you in? After 40 years building customs/street rods this is my first sports car and Bill Blue has been much help but one can never have too much.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The car is looking fabulous. Great work.

It looks like the grille bars are not level. Is the center badge too high or maybe just the left bar is low on the left side?

Mike

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Are you still running the stock rear end? I am thinking about going to 15" wheels, I have 14"now. I picked up a RX7 posi rear end with disc brakes I need to shorten, I have a Datsun in it now that is 51 3/8 face to face. I am not sure how wide a stock Sunbeam rear end is, I removed it in 1979. I am thinking about shorting to the Sunbeam size so I know the 15x7 wheels will work.

Alpine66

Donation Time
Are you still running the stock rear end? I am thinking about going to 15" wheels, I have 14"now. I picked up a RX7 posi rear end with disc brakes I need to shorten, I have a Datsun in it now that is 51 3/8 face to face. I am not sure how wide a stock Sunbeam rear end is, I removed it in 1979. I am thinking about shorting to the Sunbeam size so I know the 15x7 wheels will work.

What will it cost to shorten?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor

The Alpine S-V and Tiger rear axles I have are 50-3/4" flange-to-flange.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Flange-to-flange of 50-3/4" is without brake drums.

Typical of British sports cars in the '60's, the Alpine rear track width is about 2-1/2" narrower than the front track width. A rear flange-to-flange of about 53" would even out the track widths and bring the rear tires out closer to the fenders.

bashby

Donation Time
I measured my SIV some 7-years ago and got 52" drum-to-drum.

Attachments

• alpine rear differential sketch.jpg
    alpine rear differential sketch.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 33

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
alpine

A tiger rear axle is " narrower than a Alpine all the Alpines we measured are
51" rear track vs. 48" for a Tiger having said that our Tiger has a 53" track
width front and rear were using a 6" wheel with a 4.437 back space all
around we shortened the ford axle were using ourselves and had Moser Eng.
respline the axles for us. cost effective I might add.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Gauges look great. When I did my car the only available 4" speedo and tachs were the VDO "Visions". Good gauges, but have a rather thick, black surround. Just do not look right. The chrome really makes a difference.

Bill

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
That looks great. I just ordered a new 3 3/8 elec speedo from VDO, and a elec speedo gear off ebay. it is from a 1999 Miata, there is a vendor that sell them for $40. free shipping. Did you get the decal?

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
So the build is scooting along with all major expenses behind me aka BUMPERS :). Tony yes i did get the fusebox cover thanks again

The rear

The front at the rechromers

and the seats are starting to take shape

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Congratulations on your project. Only a little over 1 1/2 years from the start (first thread) to almost finished. Very impressive work and results.
I have an option to get a series 3 in rough condition. If you don't mind, could you give a rough ball park estimate of the cost of your project?

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
Congratulations on your project. Only a little over 1 1/2 years from the start (first thread) to almost finished. Very impressive work and results.
I have an option to get a series 3 in rough condition. If you don't mind, could you give a rough ball park estimate of the cost of your project?

here are some of the big numbers

$700 for Miata engine/trans and complete car harness
$1000 in rims and tires
$650 Rob Martel floor pans (purchased years ago)
$850 in gauges
$800 in paint material
$300 fuel pump, return lines, Tank restoration
$950 in bumper chroming
$1000 misa chroming
$375 in custom radiator
$ just about every item in the Rootes catalog

I also upgrade to willwood brake and clutch master cylinders with all new lines.

I'm sure i have alot in small items that I haven't added up

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
here are a few updated pics with the spring realigned and hopefully letting the frontend come down a bit more

and a test fit on the rebuilt dash

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
"Spring realigned". How did you accomplish that? I'd say you've go the front setting about right.

I cut the front springs to get the front slightly below the rear. A couple of years later, it was too low. Had to install a spacer on each side. I think maybe the springs had "set" into the rubber pads.

Bill

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
"Spring realigned". How did you accomplish that? I'd say you've go the front setting about right.

I cut the front springs to get the front slightly below the rear. A couple of years later, it was too low. Had to install a spacer on each side. I think maybe the springs had "set" into the rubber pads.

Bill

I had cut 1/2 link off the top coil and when assembling the front end it was not seated in the rubber spacer and blocking the shock causing the suspension to sit on the shock

after

before

Last edited: