• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

(6) Jensen Interceptors, (2) Sunbeam Alpine RACING Engines, (3) Restored Hillmans

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
A number of the SAOCA officers received this email last night. Does anybody know Chris Fisher? I have no interest in this so thought I'd pass it on to anybody who might have an interest. However, it's one of those moments that seems almost too good to be true, so be careful, it could be a scam.
If you want to see the pictures email me at schristie at unioncentral dot com and I'll forward them to you. Buyer beware!

Dear Scott,

Please see fwd below pics of the completely original, and restored from groundup Hillman Minx, Imp and Husky.
Sorry do not have pics of the (6) Jensen Interceptors, the NEW Sunbeam Alpine RACE ENGINES, or the Imp engines. But mech/aesthetics same as Hillmans!
Actually BETTER as the NEW Sunbeam Race engine and Imp engines still have the Rootes factory tape over the inlet and exhaust from day they were shipped!!
The very rare Sunbeam RACE engine (1840cc) was prepped, built and bought direct from Rootes just before they closed their doors!

Southwest and JetBlue wwere running RT flight specials. Even if you, your group did not buy the cars, the rare & valuable NEW Sunbeam alpine Race Engines & 6 New Imp engines from Rootes and other rare & new Hillman parts could easily justify an inexpensive flight to view, inspect. Disneyland is also appx 30 mins away!!
Lastly maybe few of your group could combine together to pay for your flight and use you as lead person for a ‘buying consortium’ for the new, rare engines & parts?

The New, NOS Imp engines, as well as cranks, cams, other parts he bought directly from Rootes just before they went out of business. He also had 6 Jensen Interceptors he was lovingly restoring so you can imagine The Minx convertibile (gorgeous walnut dash), Imp, Husky are in like new condition, with every part original Rootes. Theyre really incredibile find, as well as are the other new NOS Hillman parts. They definitely look they all youd have to do is wipe off the hanger dust and drive em away. They are without exaggeration that nice. And Ive owned, serviced, restored 56 Jag 140M, 59 Healey 100-6, 67 Austin Cooper s 1275 and a 89 BMW 635CSI. Good news is you will both inspect and negotiate final price for all cars, engines, parts DIRECTLY with the collectors family! You can absolutely photograph, write down, question and are encouraged to otherwise research or test to your satisfaction. Nothing will disappoint you on these finds and all will put a grin on your face. They cars are all original, restored, interior/exterior/mechanical except for the 6 Imp engines which are New from Rootes, and the cranks, cams, other parts which are also direct from Rootes

The Commer which I don’t have pic of is perfectly straight, original in/out w Rootes 1600 engine and appears to be unrestored only because of airport hanger dust as the collector just stored the cars, engines, parts there, never drove the cars, while he focused on the Jensen Interceptors. The Coomer which is also original interior/exterior, immaculately straight body, w original paint is the camper model with Poptop, sink, hammock. Has original Rootes 1600 engine and entire car was shipped from England, rebuilt, was driven, then stored in the airport hanger appx 7 years ago when the collector started focusing on the 6 Jensen Interceptors he owned. But it is Very Obvious when you see the Hillmans that he was enamored with them all. Hey, he bought 6 new NOS Imp engines, other parts had them shipped to US from Rootes and with no immediate need to use them! If you or your group desire, need any of these cars, or parts, they wont disappoint.

They did not set firm price on the cars, engines, parts. The collectors family would prefer and willing to negotiate lot prices for cars, engines, other parts to those who will take as much of this vast & valuable inventory. Theres one gentlemen whos confirmed flying in Saturday and another one Sunday to view. Please confirm ASAP if you, or any of your group want to view, inspect this weekend so I can coordinate time with the collectors family and other interested enthusiasts

Chris Fisher
909 982 1293

mikephillips

Donation Time
He does seem to use "RARE", "NOS" and "like new" a lot. And ending with the tag of having two people coming in this weekend which implies you need to be fast about it. Doesn't smell right to me.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I particularly liked the capitalization of "Very Obvious" within the sentence, ala Nigerian spammers... or auctionspeak. But it's locally-verifiable to lots of folks, so probably is legit.

Ken

RootesRich

Donation Time
I am curious about the "1840cc" race engine he refers to... I suspect this is a Holbay engine and the same kit I'm running in my '67. If this is a scam, the dude really did his homework as the 1840 kit isn't well known now a days.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Well that's why I posted it, to see if anybody was really interested enough to call the phone number and check into the story.

If it is legit, there's going to be some really happy Imp owners.

I

impfected

The "Imp engines" are acually Sunbeam 930 engines. That car was never imported to the US. It looks kinda like a Plymoth Horizon. The bottom end is useful as the makins for a 1lt Imp race engine, but it needs to either have the crank re-drilled to fit an Imp flywheel or a Imp crank fitted. Then it needs to have the bell housing redrilled for the starter. The head is useless.
There are also some other NOS stuff. Cranks and such.
Ther real jem is the Commer Imp van. There are only 30 + left in the world, and this is probably the least rusty, but the history is a little strange as the reg # still comes up int he UK DVLA as being reg'd in 1985, which conflicts with both stories I heard of its arrival here int he US.

Here is a link to some of the pics.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/godfathers/sets/72157603980220063/

Al in seattle

alpine_64

Donation Time
In Those Flickr Photos Sure Enough There Is A Full Holbay Setup.. Webers To Sump.. And If Its The 1840 Kit... Oh Goody!

I

impfected

I have a second set of pics that keeps locking my computer up.
There is a engine that has 1840 written on the top of the valve cover with a Holbay cover. It is a long block withthe Holbay tape on it. Not the one with the side draft carbs.
So maybe there are 2?

Too bad the dual webers won't fit in my Commer PA van :D

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The asking price for the Minx is $25,000. You'd have to quite an enthusiast... The unrestored Commer 1500 looks pretty good too. Maybe only 10K?

bkasl

Donation Time
Douglas Bruce

This man was Douglas Bruce, I knew of him when I first bought my Imp in the mid 90's. He was a collector of all things strange to Rootes, in fact he went to the UK and purcahsed garage loads of parts and sent them back in a container. Purchased two new Imp bumpers from him, and he also sent back ten 930 engine blocks. No doubt this is a real find. Brent

lemansvk

Donation Time
HUmbers Also

If anyone is a Humber fan, there are also 4 Humbers available from the collection. Two are Early Series Super Snipe Estates (rare), One is an early S/Snipe saloon and one a Sceptre MkIII (the Arrow-based model, with 1725 alloy head twin carby slant motor and possibly overdrive). The person disposing of them is talking about selling these for scrap metal @ $30/ton

Cheers, Vic

Armand4

Donation Time
Oh man, if I had the money (and the space) I'd be all over this. I think the Husky would make a nice little sleeper with the 1840cc Holbay engine.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
How early is "early"?

If anyone is a Humber fan, there are also 4 Humbers available from the collection. Two are Early Series Super Snipe Estates (rare), One is an early S/Snipe saloon and one a Sceptre MkIII (the Arrow-based model, with 1725 alloy head twin carby slant motor and possibly overdrive). The person disposing of them is talking about selling these for scrap metal @ $30/ton

Cheers, Vic

bkasl

Donation Time
I have the pricing for all of these cars and parts if anyone is interested, I hope a Rootes enthusiast can purchase all and resell to us owners for a bargain. Brent

Armand4

Donation Time
Would it be possible to post a price list for the Sunbeam/Rootes parts on the forum, or would that be in poor taste? Gentlemen don't discuss money, after all, and an Alpine is a gentleman's car.