• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

6 Blade Fans

atallamcs

Donation Time
fan

The six blade fan makes a big difference on a Tiger--I have done this and other heat reducing things. But this is a minimum. Remember the fan needs to measure 15" across to fit within the shroud.
Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Thank you Bill and Duke for the replies. I was at a local club members house today and he showed me a nylon type fan which has been used in some interstate race cars with great effect. Duke, is the following picture of an engine fan similar to the type you purchased?

Thank you, Robin.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Robin,

The fan you show there, is a Flex-O-Lite type fan. The fan blades stick back toward the engine about 1.5"/1.75" so you would need to see if you have enough room between it and the crank pulley. You would need a spacer made to move it far enough forward to clear the pulley, but you'd need to see that that wouldn't place the fan too far forward. I have wanted to use this fan. because you can see that it would move a lot of air, but all my applications have very limited space, and therefore, no room for a fan like that.

Jose :)

Thank you Bill and Duke for the replies. I was at a local club members house today and he showed me a nylon type fan which has been used in some interstate race cars with great effect. Duke, is the following picture of an engine fan similar to the type you purchased?

Thank you, Robin.

Duke

Donation Time
Duke, is the following picture of an engine fan similar to the type you purchased?

Sort of. Here is the Derale fan -

41EMVFA410L.jpg

I had to slightly bend the blades so they would clear one of the remote oil filter lines.

alpine_64

Donation Time

Thank you, Robin.

Rob,

Who was showing you that fan? I would be careful of the non-metal fans unless you are running a modified ally radiator. The platic/nylon fans are not as good. As for working well on race cars.. thats fine for them as they are not sitting in traffic for long on hot days or stop start driving.. and your cooling issues will not be when on the run.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
The nice thing about that type of fan is that the blades are behind the face.
It certainly gives more clearance from the rad.With a full shroud set up right cooling is greatly improved.

64beam

Donation Time
I understand the clearance issues associated with the fan change, but why would a nylon fan be a concern knowing the issues with metal fans? Why do you need a aluminium radiator to get better results? As I said, other people have had good results with them but I will wait and see.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I understand the clearance issues associated with the fan change, but why would a nylon fan be a concern knowing the issues with metal fans? Why do you need a aluminium radiator to get better results? As I said, other people have had good results with them but I will wait and see.

Regards, Robin.

Rob,

the plastic/nylon fans dont flow as much air as the metal ones. They are lighter, the do flaten out at speed but they just dont move as much at idle. I have one on my car.. and was one of the things i was going to change out, until i worked out the issue with the thermo fan. The reason i think it works on my car is that its not doing much at idle.. the thermo fan is and on the run the ally radiator is doing the work.. i woukld actualy take the fan off completely if i didnt think it was moving the hot stale air round inside the engine compartment which might be helping the carb out from breathing in as stale still hot air.