• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

536CNW on the track this weekend at Thruxton UK

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
FYI my HLM will be on the track in the FISCAR event this Saturday at Thruxton. TX is the fastest circuit in the UK so I'll have to push the revs. FISCAR have strict regs and I'm using the 1600. Chris Draycott sat in it last weekend at Curborough and felt that it was on the money. I matched a couple of Holbay 1725's on the Curborough Sprint circuit but this will still be way too slow as the HLM will be the heaviest car at 2,265lbs Other cars include Elans and Morgans. I'm in the lowest handicap category and a reliable finish will be a good result. I sneak into the series as the Alpine was launched in 1959 and my build date of December 1961 is just allowable. I was going to increase the DCOE chokes to 34mm but on seeing that my auxiliary venturis are only 32mm anyway it seems that there won't be any gain. Do I have to get bigger venturis? I think that 32mm limits me to 5,500 RPM no matter what I try. Wish me luck.

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor

Just a short snippet. There were 4 Aston Martin DB2's, 2 Healey 100/4's, 4 Morgan +4's and 2 Lotus Elites and some other exotics. My HLM was probably the heaviest car on the track and close to the smallest engine - but how sweet it sounded and ran. I averaged 68MPH and know I was close to my limits. I dodged a couple of bullets with a loose top hose which stayed on for the duration of the race - just, and also with the starter motor which failed in the assembly area and required a push start. Adrenaline still pumping, I had a blast. Just listen to the engine.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Glenn, engine sounds really sweet and racey. Not bad for a 1600cc. Was it built by Chris D. ?

Last edited:

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
Glenn, engine sounds really sweet and racey. Not bad for 1600cc. Was it built by Chris D. ?
Yes. Chris sat in the car with me at Curborough a couple of weeks ago and said the engine was strong. Nicely run in now.