• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

5 Speed Transmission

Positraktion

Gold Level Sponsor
I have an Alpine with a 2.8L Cologne engine with 4 speed.
Is there a specific 5 speed Ford tranny that I have to use?
Or will all Ford 5-speeds fit with no issues?

Thanks in advance
Posi

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
The popular trans for the V6 is the Ford T-5 . They're pretty easy to find used and can even be bought
brand new ( now a Tremic T-5) . They were used in many different Mustangs and T Birds, both V6 and
V8. Just know that there are two versions of it, world class and non-world class. Both good, just a little
different. Check with Dan R as he has mounts and a world of info on them.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Ford M5 tranny will bolt in, that includes the clutch. However, it is a big (bigger than the T5) weighs about 90 pounds and requires tunnel surgery. There are some serious steel gears inside that aluminum case. The stock shifter is in an awkward location, about 6" in front of the Alpine location. I addressed that issue by making a remote shifter. Definitely not a bolt in. However the ratios are nice, even offering a .235 low gear!

Bill

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Ford Type 9 also works well if you can find one. I find it interesting that they are popular upgrades in MGs & Triumphs but rarely used by us guys who actually have Ford engines. I guess the T5 is a lot easier to find. John Esposito at Quantum Mechanics in CT is a real resource - he also knows his way around a Laycock Overdrive. The Type 9 has (in my opinion) more desirable gear spacing than any version of the T5.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
GoTo my PDF on Converting the Alpine to V6 and you can find a table with the different T5's available