• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

5 bearings engine for 3 bearings?.

Khairong

Donation Time
Dear all,

need advice.

- can alpine series II take on a 1592 series IV engine without modification to the car.

- is there any added advantage of having a 5 bearing engine. Heard it is more 'durable' if driven hard.

FYI, i blew my original engine. Hence looking for replacement.

thanks in advance for your reply.

regards

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The series II & seriesIV 1600 engines are the same block casting, yes, they can be swapped.
The later 1725 5-main (complete engine) can also be swapped for the 1600. They're not that much of an advantage, other than more new parts for the 1725, than the 1600.

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
No problem fitting a 1725, and they are probably easier to find.

I have a 1725 (5 bearing) in my Series 2, with original head (and header tank etc). It all fits together nicely!

BUT I believe that the oil pump may be different, and the drive for the camshaft is different, meaning that a different camshaft is required (eg Hillman Hunter).
I'm sure that others on this forum have more knowledge on the matter than I do...

By the way, perhaps I am your nearest neighbour (I'm in the Top End of Australia)?

cheers
Dave

lemansvk

Donation Time
Only the Series V Alpine came as standard with the 1725 cc, 5 main bearing engine. Series II to IV had the 1592 cc engine (3 main bearing) and Series I had 1494 cc (also 3 mains).

However, many engine blocks have been replaced in the 40 plus years since the Alpine ceased production. I know of several Series II Alpines with 1725 cc Hillman Hunter engine blocks, and my own SIII has a 1592cc block from a Hillman Super Minx

The easiest way to tell the difference between a 3 bearing motor and a 5 bearing motor is the oil dipstick: 3 bearing goes into a tube on the sump (oil pan). 5 bearing goes directly into the block

Cheers, Vic

regards
eric

Finchy

Donation Time
Hillman Hunter repower

Since this seems to be an Anzac forum thought I'd ask a (related) question. Do you know if the 1725 Hillman Hunter motor and gearbox will bolt in to a S2 Alpine or do you ned to make modifications? If so any idea what needs to be done? I am looking at a cheap Hunter which has had extensive engine mods and want to know if it is worth purchasing for the motor and gearbox.:confused: