• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

4 Pipe Headers

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have been exploring trying out different headers for my 1600. I port and polished my head last winter in an attempt to help the engine breath a little more. Right now running the stock cast iron headers with Weber carb. With the way things have been over the last 2 years I have not had any luck getting ahold of the after market tubular headers from CS of SS.

With all that being said these early series headers seem to be a better option then the later series headers. Does anyone have an opinion on running early series headers over the later series? And will the early series headers fit the later series heads?

Thanks
Cade

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've heard that the cars actually run better with the cast iron manifolds as they hold the heat better
and give the engine a more efficient burn. I had a set of stainless CS headers on my old SIV and they were
fine, but never ran that car with a cast manifold, so no real comparison.

That said, I'm going to run a modified S2 header on my modified engine. They've been jet coated to
retain more heat and are much lighter than the cast manifold. Doing it just for that reason, weight.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm finally taking my gnarly prototype 4 into 1 header system (https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/physics-math-and-an-alpine-4-into-1-header.28990/) to a local longtime custom header builder, Shawn, on Thursday. The idea is to make a more professional prototype utilizing a stock Series IV with a 1592 install. If all goes well a jig will be produced to replicate the professional prototype Note: the proper header sizing is 1 1/4 " OD and 1" ID to get the maximum scavenging. Ceramic coating or a heat wrap will also provide reduced heat transfer assisting with the molecular scavenging process. The lengths vary depending on the desired peak torque at a selected RPM and the cam install. I'm also in the middle of working with an excellent performance engine builder, Andrew Gibson from Gibson's Performance Engines, with two 1592 developments. One will be the numbers matching engine for the Naomi (Harrington Le Mans) project and one will be for the #41 Sebring Factory Works Alpine. Gibson has a bench flow setup and an engine dyno so hoping to get some measurements with various configurations.

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
I plan to send the headers off to be ceramic coated to help with holding the heat better and keep under the hood cooler. If running these headers and having them ceramic coated doesn't increase performance, at least it will look somewhat nicer under the hood. Either way its a win is how I look at it.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I did ceramic coating for my stock Promotional Harrington Le Mans (Series II header system) . I had the shiny chrome coating. I don't know if it made any difference but it sure looks good.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Had a set of headers made by Stan’s Headers ceramic coated at Motorsport powder coating in Elkhorn Wisc, recommended by a local machine shop that does alot of drag motors. Showed me a set that were done 4 yrs ago still have a shiny coat and suppose to prevent corrosion from the inside out. Happy with the way they turned out. BTW Stan retired last year and Dan may still offer them, I hope he does.

Attachments

• 28196741-F62E-4614-8311-65C34F3264A7.jpeg
    28196741-F62E-4614-8311-65C34F3264A7.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 37
  • B9CBB333-F8F2-435F-8BE6-4DBAC5049C0C.jpeg
    B9CBB333-F8F2-435F-8BE6-4DBAC5049C0C.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 2D954373-B236-45CD-816C-4B5334364ACE.jpeg
    2D954373-B236-45CD-816C-4B5334364ACE.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 34
  • 3DB16DBC-B737-4822-BD70-F8EB60B2DCC1.jpeg
    3DB16DBC-B737-4822-BD70-F8EB60B2DCC1.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 32

alpine_64

Donation Time
A couple of quick notes on ceramic coating...

1. Not all coatings are equal.. Get a reputable one.
2. Test fit headers before costing. Make sure they dont need any adjustments or clearance.. To late if they are coated you wreck the coating.
3. Have them coated close to the time you will fire up the engine .. Most of them need heat cycling to cure.. Leave it to long and the coating can flake off

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have been watching several videos on the process so I know what questions to ask whatever shop I choose. Sandblasting is a must for prep work and having the manifold placed in a oven after the ceramic is applied is a must also.

Test fitting is something I always do now before I have work done. I learned the hard way in the past and paid twice. Measure twice cut once.

Last edited: