• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

4 Barrel Carb for 2.8

Mark T

Donation Time
Hi! I recently purchased a '64 Alpine with a 2.8 V6 engine. It has a 2 barrel carb and I want to put a 4 barrel on it. I was lucky enough to pick up an Offenhauser 4 barrel intake and was wondering what carb would be recommended. Thanks!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
According to Holley's own estimates, the 390 is too big for the 2.8 V6 engine, but I have had very good luck with it. I have gotten as much as 24 miles per gallon on the freeway at 80 mph., and it has performed very well in city driving too, being very resonsive to even small throttle openings, which to me, says that it is carbureting correctly. I had no flat spots at all.

The only draw back I see with the Holley, is that it is pretty fussy if it gets any dirt in it. They are hard to rebuild and get them to work right, but other than that, I like them.

Jose:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you run across a Carter 410, try it. Yes, it is slightly bigger than the Holley, but from my experience an incredibly tolerant carb with good response across the RPM range. I took one out of the box and used it on an AMC 232. After a few years of use, plopped it on an AMC 360. No adjustments needed other than idle speed. Problem, they haven't been made for the past umpteen years.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
If you run across a Carter 410, try it. Yes, it is slightly bigger than the Holley, but from my experience an incredibly tolerant carb with good response across the RPM range. I took one out of the box and used it on an AMC 232. After a few years of use, plopped it on an AMC 360. No adjustments needed other than idle speed. Problem, they haven't been made for the past umpteen years.

Bill
Hi Bill,

You actually can get a Holley rebuilt Carter 410 AFB from Summit Racing. I was looking for one for one of my customers who has put a 2.9 V6 crank into his 2.8 block. I think the 410 will work well for him, because of the increased displacement. I agree with you; the Carter AFB is alot better for daily use, and is easier to tune.

Jose:)

Mark T

Donation Time
Thank you all so much for the insights! I think that I'll begin the search for a Carter. Have a great one!