• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

350 cfm 2bl holly

canuck pride

Donation Time
Hi guys, I'm on the debate on if I should stick with the 2bl set up on the 2.8 or break the bank and go with the 4bl set up.
I'm not looking to race , But would like some get up and go.
Has any one out here went with the 350 2bl and had any regrets? Just looking for a fun strong driver. Mike

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

The four barrel will give better performance, plus better gas mileage. The Holley has smaller barrels that you drive on regularly, then the other two open when you stand on it. My personal choice is the Offy and Holly combo. You can find the Offy on line, since they come up every once in a while. I do recommend buying a new Holley though.

Jose

Hi guys, I'm on the debate on if I should stick with the 2bl set up on the 2.8 or break the bank and go with the 4bl set up.
I'm not looking to race , But would like some get up and go.
Has any one out here went with the 350 2bl and had any regrets? Just looking for a fun strong driver. Mike

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
350 Holley carb

I have purchased two Offenhauser 4 barrel manifolds through P.A.W. auto parts and I am assuming they still sell them. They are not cheap but they're the only ones I could find that had them. I think the manifold was $350/400, the water neck for it was $53 and the Holley carb was $398.

Performance Automotive Warehouse ( P.A.W.) is located at: 20235 Nordhoff St., Chatsworth, California, 91311. Their phone is: 1-818-678-3001. It's buyer beware on Ebay....you can score a deal on a manifold but sometimes there is a flaw or two that they neglect to mention.

mferris

Donation Time
I'm running the original (rebuilt) 350 on my 2.8L. With the stock rear end and a T5 - I'm happy with it for hitting 30mph quickly.

I don't have my throttle linkage/leverage quite right a cannot more than crack the second barrel - but I have no trouble keeping up/beating any traffic and can chirp the tires going into 2nd gear - and the torque in 2nd is quite fun.

On the downside - I'm getting less than 20mpg, probably closer to 10mpg (even with some highway cruising) - I don't know if this is tuning, but it makes for quite a few trips to the gas station for the 10 gallon tanks.

For the extra $700 or so - I doubt I'll ever go for the Offy and 4bl. - but I did not get this car to be a performance beast; however, I would expect I can always add the Offy/4bl whenever I want.

-M

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have purchased two Offenhauser 4 barrel manifolds through P.A.W. auto parts and I am assuming they still sell them. They are not cheap but they're the only ones I could find that had them. I think the manifold was $350/400, the water neck for it was $53 and the Holley carb was $398.

Performance Automotive Warehouse ( P.A.W.) is located at: 20235 Nordhoff St., Chatsworth, California, 91311. Their phone is: 1-818-678-3001. It's buyer beware on Ebay....you can score a deal on a manifold but sometimes there is a flaw or two that they neglect to mention.

These guys have them as a kit. The install kit can also be purhased separately (see second link). You would also need the water neck.

http://www.offyparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_6/products_id/145

http://www.offyparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/1015?osCsid=0f30edda658e91c192bf3d34cfc47035

Last edited:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

I think I need to warn you all about the fact that there are two different Offenhouser four barrel V6 manifolds. The version for the 2.6 V6 will not interchange with the one for the 2.8 V6. The heads are very different, so the manifolds are different to accommodate them.

When you buy a used one, make sure you can see a picture of the bottom of the lower half. It the ports are all rectangular and symmetrical, you don´t want it. It is for the 2.6 V6. The one for the 2.8 V6, has the middle port with the lower corner of the port is cut off and is at an angle.

Jose

pcmenten

Donation Time
I'm running the original (rebuilt) 350 on my 2.8L. With the stock rear end and a T5 - I'm happy with it for hitting 30mph quickly.

On the downside - I'm getting less than 20mpg, probably closer to 10mpg (even with some highway cruising) - I don't know if this is tuning, but it makes for quite a few trips to the gas station for the 10 gallon tanks.

-M

Mike,

I wonder if your distributor needs to be tuned. What is its history?

I have a link to a web site that describes how to adapt fuel injection to a 2.8. Myself, I just pulled the intake off of the Bronco II 2.8 for my Mustang engine. I'm hoping I can make that work with the original Autolite carb.

canuck pride

Donation Time
Thanks guys for all the feed back. Still not sure Witch way to sway. Maybe I'll have to put in some over time at work and go for the big boy.

Jim E

Donation Time
Hi guys... you want to be careful with the used intakes, the one I bought had corrosion that had to be welded up. Then do to decking the block and milling the heads the intake had to be cut to fit the valley... cut a lot I doubt the intake would ever be able to be made fit an engine with any thing like stock deck height. you should get somewhere close to 25MPG.. on another note... my brother in law finally got Vader back on the road, the reworked 390 holley was gummed up from sitting... he fixed it by.... wait for it.... slapping a 600 holley vacuum secondary on it and it works like a champ maybe better than the 390.... but keep in mind he is running a leaned on 2.8

happy holidays everyone