• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

327 SBC machine shop postmortem

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
This video reveals a lot of things that, when found on tear down, are problematic for a possible rebuild. Think time consuming or expensive repairs. Although the subect is a 327 SBC, the same types of issues can be found in most any engine. The thoughts expressed about why the bores are funnel shaped might be of interest to anyone contemplating a workshop "rebuild."

Think of it as useful information, in a generic sense, to help identify what and why issues are a problem at rebuild time.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Some teachable moments there.

....Things they DIDN'T do in this video.

When disassembling parts, things like rocker arms with balls,

or Alpine rocker arms from a shaft,

Keep the parts together in the order as they came apart.

Rocker arms with their balls on a wire and rocker arms in the order they came off the shafts.

And, of course, verify machine work!

The video is...a bunch of scrap...that was resembling an Engine...

DW

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
...Things they DIDN'T do in this video.

When disassembling parts, things like rocker arms with balls,

or Alpine rocker arms from a shaft,

Keep the parts together in the order as they came apart.

DW,

Good point, but in this case they are a machine shop with a starting goal of building a reliable performance engine with a warranty. Considering they found parts of broken spring dampers while tearing down the heads, my thought is those parts followed the lifters straight to the scrap bin because there was no intention to reuse them.

Just a thought,

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Geez, the original machinist on that block should have been shot and sent to the Western Front. He ruined that block. Ugh.
Here's the follow up, BTW:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here's the follow up, BTW:

Kevin,

I tripped over the video you just posted first. Watching what was accomplished in this and one on how they deck a block and save the stamped numbers for a matching numbers car intrigued me enough to find the 327 tear down to find what they found so unworthy of repair.

Thanks for posting the follow up.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
This second video is a bit ironic, how far out of alignment the bores will end up.

The next person to inspect the machine work will, maybe, say how BAD the last job was...

...Better job.... following Not so good of a job...

Hard to believe the Factory machining would/could be that bad...??

BUT, you never know an unknown block's History....Bores moved to clear/clean damage?

BTW, I'm not buying the need to align hone the crank main bore just because of a change of bolts...

PS, I have only built one Chevy V8 Race engine and the crank main bore sizes were BAD, from the factory!!

So it got a crank main bore hone job, but it NEEDED it!...nothing to do with Bolts...

...I've never seen a Ford Block that bad...

DW

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Back in the day, I was charged with inspecting the Jasper Engine facility. The inspection went from "junk" engine teardown to dyno test. Experienced a lot of eye openers. Among them, entire valve trains were throne away and blocks were not inspected for wear. All cylinders were bored and all blocks were aligned bored. Any block that did not clean up was sent out to be melted down. Maybe that's why Jasper called the engines "Remanufactured" not "Rebuilt".
Bill

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Back in the early 1980's my company bought a brand new GMC Truck chassis (big block gas V8) to use as a demonstrator for the bucket trucks we sold. Chassis was delivered piggy back. We did our thing. First time we road tested the truck it overheated within 1/4 mi of the plant. To make a long story short - no coolant passages machined into the block! Warranty engine replacement at 3.2 miles.