• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

30k mile Hillman Minx on Ebay

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Anyone see the 30 k orig mile Hillman on Ebay....What a find...It is exactly what was my Dad's daily driver in the 60"s (same color even) and my Mom drove a 57 chevy.....I was a teenager and learned to drive in both of them. Priced fairly I think....mike

hillmanhuskyguy

Silver Level Sponsor
This is about 30 minutes from my cabin.
If anyone needs an 'untrained' set of eyes to eyeball it or take more
photos it would be my pleasure to do so.

You can call me @ 97oh53two228oh.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Minx racer...

My friend just bought the other Minx that was listed on Ebay's Local and Craigslist in Boston. (Low mileage, too (28k) but not nearly a clean), The plan is to use this for VSCCA sedan racing.

It is a very stock class which is emulating the cars that ran at Lime Rock's Little LeMans from 59-61.

It should be fun:)

Attachments

• IMG_0019_4.jpg
    IMG_0019_4.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 41

RootesRooter

Donation Time
From the extra relay boxes in the engine compartment, it appears to still have an Easi-Drive automatic. I've only seen a couple of them running.

I guess they work fine - while they work - but I'd hate to have to find parts.

There was an English classic car article on them about 15 years ago. There were only a couple left running over there, too. The tranny used some sort of metallic particles ("mesmerized dust") that would solidify when just the right amount of current was applied, and turn back to dust when the current was withdrawn. Unfortunately, the particles tended to clump up after a relatively short time, causing huge warrantee costs for Rootes. In another magazine article, a former quality control manager for Rootes said that because the Easi-Drive gave Hillman such a terrible reputation in the U.S. they soon rebadged the Minx as a Sunbeam.

Oh, and that English article said the "mesmerized dust" was slightly radioactive!!