• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

3 Point Seat Belt Recomendations

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Does anyone have any seat belt recommendations? I am interested in a 3 point belt. Sunbeam Alpine has sets. Has anybody used them?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ive used BEAMS belts in a few sunbeams. They are a static 3-Point Non-Retractable Belt and come in a variety of colours and have a great period chrome aircraft style buckle... And have beams as the brand.. So a nice touch.

https://www.seatbelts.net/products/buckles/

https://www.seatbelts.net/products/non-retractable-lap-belts/

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-30...t-lift-latch-buckle.html?ref=category:1389190
F198642598.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
Moss Motors or Victoria British. Selling cost for both is in the less than $40 range. Various colors.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
The trick is mounting them high enough to work right. So far the best I could come up with is to use a roll bar.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The trick is mounting them high enough to work right. So far the best I could come up with is to use a roll bar.
The shoulder belts should in theory be +/- 10° from horizontal of where they cross your shoulder.. Why race harnesses are often mounted to the rear parcel shelf or go over a cross bar in a roll bar at about shoulder level.

Unless you are quite short the factory shoulder anchor in the rear guard will be bellow this arc.

In an accident if the belt goes down at an angle from your shoulder it pulls your uppder body down and forces your hips forward causing lower back injuries.

Mounting to the vertical part of a roll bar does solve this issue, and gives the possibility of an inertia belt.

If someone didnt want the roll bar they could make a brace bar behind the seats.. One that goes accross the rear and can mount the belts. In a SV you could do it against the vertical panel jjst below the vinyl softop cover, giving a nice shallow angle of fall for the belts and still beimg able to fold the top freely... On a si-iv it would block your metal hood bins... So a bit harder to achive.

My sii alpine i just use the factory points.. In the tiger i have an autopower roll bar with a secondary cross bar welded in for harnesses to go over at shoulder height, the alpine racer they feed through the harness loops in the higb back race seat.

index.php

index.php

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Plus one on the Beams belts.
That's pretty funny Michael unless you're very short the stock shoulder belt location won't be good enough for you.
I'm thinking maybe if you're like that guy from game of thrones it'd be perfect. But he's probably got somebody driving him around anyway...

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I looked into seats with the seat belts built in, but they are just to big for my car. I have also looked at building a mount off the B post, but it starts a new can of worms. I have even thought about a bar that wound mount under the seat and follow the seat-back all the way up to the point to mount a seat belt, I am not sure what to build it out of that would be strong enough. So until something better comes along, I will use a roll bar.
RIMG1502-XL.jpg

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
We installed Miata NC tower back seats in our car in order to address the seat belt issue. They fit the car pretty good, but their tallness hinders rear shelf access. They also do not flop forward very much, further hindering rear access, but that can be fixed.

Bill

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I don't, I live in Bakersfield Ca :) It does not rain here, will maybe 8 or 9 days a year and on those days I use the hardtop.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Most auto power roll bars have that problem A lot of people will just detach the side wings from the soft top cover on the early cars. Others leave them off and lose them, hence the price for them being so high.
As well as they're easy to beat up and dent.

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Wow, thanks for all the information. My dad and I are kinda tall. I was thinking of mounting in the hole behind the seats. Not sure if this is used by the convertible top. I am going to try and mount it there. If it doesn't work then we will have to resort to lap belts.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am more than kinda tall. I am really struggling with the idea of installing a roll bar so that I have a higher attachment point for shoulder belts. I want shoulder belts, but I dont want to crack my skull on a roll bar if I were ever to get rear ended.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
The threaded openings for the third point is already part of the inner fender well of later series cars. You'll find the attachment point just above the rear wheel.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Wow, thanks for all the information. My dad and I are kinda tall. I was thinking of mounting in the hole behind the seats. Not sure if this is used by the convertible top. I am going to try and mount it there. If it doesn't work then we will have to resort to lap belts.

As much as the factory 3 point location is not ideal.. Its better than a lap belt.. If you are even somewhat tall your forehead will kiss the screen with laps... Just use the factory location on the inner rear well, but if you have a roll bar or are not averse to making a harness bar ( if a series V alpine) it will be a safer mounting geometry