• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

3 Fastbacks on E-Bay

Jim E

Donation Time
How do you supose NADA or who ever comes up with a value on these cars or cars like these? Cannot be on sales history.

The low miles one owner grandpa car is pretty cool but I doubt it will change owners anywhere near that level.

65beam

Donation Time
fastbacks

the brown car is not a GT.they all appear to have several serious issues . i guess you could say they're overpriced .

howard

Donation Time
I've never cared much for the Fastback Alpines. They look too contrived- like they were after the AMC market. I'll stick with the 1959-67 styles.

65beam

Donation Time
fastbacks

don't knock them if you never tried them . you have no idea what you're missing. they're a pleasure to travel in .

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Yup, they're a pleasure to travel in on the freeway. Although at least one period magazine reviewer described the GT as 'buzzy,' I found my old Coupe to be fairly quiet, even tho it lacked the underbonnet insulation found on the GT.

They're not very 'sporty' though, compared to the Audax-bodied Rapiers, which can really glide through corners. The fastback's steering is nice and light on the freeway, but the strut suspension produces way too much understeer when driven enthusiastically thru corners. (Having autocrossed my Coupe a few times, I can verify this) I've seen a couple photos of fastbacks that had been worked over for racing. I'd love to try out one of those. Also would love to drive a Hillman (Avenger) Tiger. Their ads touted 0-60 times comparable to a Mk I Sunbeam Tiger.

howard

Donation Time
Allow me to clarify: I don't care for the Fastback's styling. They may be a REALLY good drive. I'm not judging that aspect, since I have no experience in that area. I do have experience in the aesthetic area, though, and I stand by my statement.

I do not wish to insult anyone else who likes the design. I just don't like it, myself.

agmason

Donation Time
Installing a Ford 260 cu in V8 would make them real nice cars. Just like Rootes did with the Alpine..... Let the flames begin!

RootesRooter

Donation Time
So, to steal an old Seinfeld line, you're saying that's one ugly baby Barracuda.

Allow me to clarify: I don't care for the Fastback's styling. They may be a REALLY good drive. I'm not judging that aspect, since I have no experience in that area. I do have experience in the aesthetic area, though, and I stand by my statement.

I do not wish to insult anyone else who likes the design. I just don't like it, myself.

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
The New York car is pretty interesting, it's listed as a Rapier not an Alpine. I was not aware that the Rapier fastback was imported to the U.S.

The spec is (as far as I can tell) the same as that of the Rapier fastback (apart from the lack of overdrive) - recessed one-piece plastic dash, aluminium centre console, vinyl coverings on the rear window pillars, more sculpted seats (U.K. Rapier seats did not have the high backs though), twin tailpipes etc. However, I have not seen the chrome wheelarch trim on any Rapier/Alpine fastback before.

Personally I much prefer the Rapier interior over that of the standard Alpine. The Alpine GT is better with the veneered wood dash from the Humber Sceptre (U.K. spec Alpine fastbacks were not sold as GT's).

Anyone know if this is really a Rapier, or were late model Alpines sold in the U.S. with the same spec as a Rapier?

65beam

Donation Time
fastbacks

the cars that came to the U.S. were badged either alpine or alpine G.T. nothing was imported with the rapier name on it .the 68/69 cars had wood instument panels . the alpine had a speedometer and another cluster that had idiot lights , etc . the G.T had full instuments including tach . the consoles had wood on them in both cars .the G.T. had vinyl on the rear window pillars, the alpine did not. both had high back seats, but there were differences in the upholstery. there were actually four different exhaust setups on the G.T.'s . have no idea why . on the 1970 models they went to the plastic instument panel dropping the wood panel ,and added the aluminum trim on the console . the only options for 1970 were whitewall tires,auto trans and the sport stripe / rally wheel combo . am radio was a dealer installed item . they also had the wheel well mouldings . i know of one alpine G.T in the states that has rapier badges on it in place of the alpine badges and that is because i put them on when i restored my white one . i should say it did have them since my wife swapped them out sunday. she said it was going to have the right emblems on it when it gets to SUNI .also ,the alpine had the rootes lion, the G.T. had G.T. emblems in place of the lion on the window pillars . i also added the wheel well trim to my car . i have dealer literature from the U.S , U.K. ,and several european countries and from comparing them ,i believe that the G.T. sold here in the states is very close to the U.K. rapier except for some things mandated by U.S. regulations. the GT had the twin emmision carbs with the aluminum head, the alpine had the single carb mated to the iron head . i guess you could say the alpine is the same as the alpine in the UK, the GT is the rapier .since i have both versions it's interesting to set them together and compare the differences. another thing i added to my white car was the black grill from an H120 . makes for a better look . does this help answer your questions ?

darlaih

Donation Time
newbie looking for help

just purchased a 69 alpine gt and i am looking for someone to point me in the right direction for parts and any info
thanks
Darren

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
Darren, congratulations on your new purchase! Did you buy one of the eBay cars?

First thing to do is join the Sunbeam Rapier Owners club in the U.K. http://sunbeamrapier.org It's a great club and a good source for information and spare parts. Try searching 'Sunbeam Rapier fastback' for more information on these excellent cars (My Dad and I both have Rapier H120's so I'm more than a little biased).

Almost all mechanical parts for Alpine GT's are still pretty easy to find (especially in the U.K.) as they share much with the Hillman Hunter, however finding sheetmetal and interior trim in good condition is much more of a challenge. Look on eBay.co.uk for Hillman Hunter, Humber Sceptre, Hillman Minx and Sunbeam Rapier parts (all mechanically simmilar to your Alpine GT). The $/pound exchange rate is much more favourable now so buying parts from the U.K is an economic option. Another great source of new parts is speedy spares http://www.speedyspares.co.uk/

Drop me a line if you are having difficulty sourcing what you need.

Cheers,
Stuart