• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

3:70

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha! Jarrid, I was just explaining why the Capri needed those 3.09 gears, not trying to hammer you on it.:D

I had a guy call me about ten years ago and he wanted to run the One Lap of America event and wanted to put a T5 into his Capri. I sold him a pilot bearing adapter and he swapped a T5 into his Capri. He didn't hear or just ignored my caution about using a pedal stop and he promptly blew up the clutch, right in the middle of the event. He called me and chewed me out for not telling him about the pedal stop. That Capri must have been fun while it ran, because I really enjoyed my Capris' when I had them, but they could have used a lower gear too.

Jose :)

But I already conceded...

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Oops!

Sorry.... :eek: I'm a heavy truck (Freightliner/Western Star) guy so anything big, round and on the rear axle(s) generically I call a pumpkin. I stand corrected. :D Thank you.

Ok. Now I know what to do with my current runner. Rear end needs to be gone thru anyway as I have a small leak. Do it all at once.

Dear Santa,

I more or less behaved myself this year so whatever RootesRacer and V6 Jose said, I want... I'll leave the side door in the garage open as I don't have a chimney. If you and the elves have time I'd appreciate you guys installing it before you split. I'll leave the annual bottle of The Macallan in the ususal place. Please do the install before consuming. Remember, I live near Luke AFB and it would be a drag if they scrambled because you were flying eraticly... Besides locked and loaded F16's freak out the reindeer...

Jose, no the kit didn't have the pilot bearing, so I assume I'll need to track one of those down before too long.

Jim D came over today and we went over my inventory. I'm in good shape and will have stuff to trade in the next few months.

Jim E

Donation Time
I built a tiger rear end for my SV project. Had around $500 in the stock Tiger rear end, then found a carrier on ebay for $70, gear set was around $125 and then there was the clutch pack for the locker maybe $30 and a bearing and install kit for the gear set maybe $100. Paid $200 to have the gear set up. Oh and there was the axle button gizmos they were $40 oh and a new input yoke another $40. So not inclyding any brakes or the time to pull the rear end apart, clean stuff, paint and such had around $1100 in the Tiger rear end set up with a 4.09 gear and a locker.

The lockers come up on ebay pretty often and seem to be reasonable priced but you really need to know what you want and what you are buying. Three things come top mind. Spline count, Tiger has a 19 spline axle [think that is right] and only the older lockers have that spline count. Scout, Jeep and such. You need the older course spline count or you have to buy new 30 some spline axles, price those... Then you need a carrier with holes in the cross shafts for the axle buttons to go in. Seems this is a semi floating axle and requires these little button gizmos to be stuck on the ends of the axles. and the cross shaft has to have the hole. No hole no work and forget drilling these babies. Side note the buttons as far as I can tell are NLA or unobtainium, I found one Tiger owner who made a run and had a set left. Next is what gear set the carrier will take, I believe you can decode the number on the carrier and figure this out and I think the break is around 3.70 something might be a little higher but basically there are two carries one holds 3.70ish and higer the other 3.70ish and lower. Most of the tiger guys want the 3.70 and lower [smaller number] so they can run the factory 2.88 gear or something close to it. So the good news is you are not in compatiotion with Tiger guys to buy the carrier we want. And if you have one of these carriers you may be able to sell it for enough to finace the operation.
The mighty Pow-lok is easy to rebuild, you pretty much just clean it take the bolts out and install a new clutch pack. There are several different ways to stack the clutches but that is about it as far as difficulty. I do recall when I ordered the gear set and install kit the guy said the Tiger unit requires a different install kit than the run of the mill 44. Overall I got real lucky when I built the thing, cross shafts had holes, it would carry the gear I wanted, right spline count, guy I ordered parts from knew about Tiger rear ends, and I found the buttons.
Oh and there is the clutch pack thing, I found one of the old stiff packs and installed it on KILL. Pushing the car around the shop it acted like the rear end had a spool in it, both wheels locked together, very hard to move the car. Not sure I would set on up that tight again, it may loosen up a bit when it was run in but at that point it was popping and snapping because the clutch pack was so tight.

Anyway that is my exsperence with the Tiger rear end as I recall it, hopefully it will help out anyone going that direction with what to watch for. Do not expect the ebay sellers to know what they have by the way but if the carrier has the cross shaft holes and is the right spline count. The seller should at least be able to tell you that stuff.... with those two things even if it will not carry a 4 plus gear you can always sell it and start looking again.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

The guy you want to contact for your pilot bearing adapter is:

Jeff
Iron Age engineering
P.O. Box 1450
Buckley, WA. 98321

ironageeng@aol.com

(253) 826-2034

You need to tell him that you need one for a V8 transmission. The one for a four cylinder transmission is smaller and will not work with your transmission. I don't remember what he charges for them now, but it used to be $100.

Jose

Sorry.... :eek: I'm a heavy truck (Freightliner/Western Star) guy so anything big, round and on the rear axle(s) generically I call a pumpkin. I stand corrected. :D Thank you.

Ok. Now I know what to do with my current runner. Rear end needs to be gone thru anyway as I have a small leak. Do it all at once.

Dear Santa,

I more or less behaved myself this year so whatever RootesRacer and V6 Jose said, I want... I'll leave the side door in the garage open as I don't have a chimney. If you and the elves have time I'd appreciate you guys installing it before you split. I'll leave the annual bottle of The Macallan in the ususal place. Please do the install before consuming. Remember, I live near Luke AFB and it would be a drag if they scrambled because you were flying eraticly... Besides locked and loaded F16's freak out the reindeer...

Jose, no the kit didn't have the pilot bearing, so I assume I'll need to track one of those down before too long.

Jim D came over today and we went over my inventory. I'm in good shape and will have stuff to trade in the next few months.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

I had understood that you already had a V8 Mustang T5. If you haven't already bought a transmission, I would suggest getting one from a 1996 or later Mustang with the 3.8 V6. It is the very best choice for this conversion. If you get one of these later transmissions, you won't need the pilot bearing adapter after all.

Jose :)

I'll do it as soon as I track down the trans.

Thanks everyone..