• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

3.70 Gear

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I would like to hear from anyone who has used the new 3.70 gear set from Roots Spares in Holland. I have just put one in my alpine and it is nice but i have a small amount on wine on deseleration. Is this normal from this new gear set or should it be quit? Thanks:cool:

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I bought the 3.70 from them, had it set up by Doug Stockman who has rebuilt many Sunbeam rear ends, and do have a little whine on deceleration. However, I'm not too worried as I believe this to be normal, but really have nothing else to compare to.

It does beat the howl from my old 3.89 gears.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Seriously, George; what you describe sounds like a classic case of incorrect meshing of the gears. Setting up the C.W./pinion mesh and bearing preloads is an exact science and not easy to get right the first time. Engineer's blue on the C.W. can tell you whether there is too much engagement or too little.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks everyone for the feed back. Stockman set up the rearend and i am going to send it back for a little adjustment. I think that between Doug Jennings and Stockman they can get it set right, like you said it takes a lot of experiance to get it dead on the first time, it dose make a big differance in the way the car rides and the RPM's. I am still working on the 5 speed to go with this rear end setup and this will make a big change in the roadabilty of the Alpine. Thanks