• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2 questions

mbruskin

Donation Time
Does the series 5 have a spot for a spare tire holder? I don't see a threaded receptacle for a bolt in the back of the trunk in the center of the spare where it sits.

Also, what tire pressures are you running?

Thanks,

Murray

bashby

Donation Time
My S-IV and S-V had a factory bolt in arrangement which I removed on the S-5 for the fuel tank. I cut the one out of the S-IV and still have it in the basement.

65beam

Donation Time
questions

the late series 5 cars had the strap holding the spare. earlier ones had the bolt. new straps are available from SS. he shoud have thebrackets also. the brackets were also used in tigers.

chard

Donation Time
I'm running 26 psi on my SV 185/70/13r tyres. It seems OK but I would be interested in what others are doing. I don't carry a spare but a can of sealant and a foot pump.

snamelc

Donation Time
I run 32 psi because tires do lose air over time and this way, I average somewhere around 26 psi, evening tire wear over the long haul. You might say that's the lazy way... you should check pressure more often, but who does?

As to carrying a spare or not, you only have to be stranded once and you'll carry a spare from then on. On a long drive this summer, one of our group without a spare shredded his tube so couldn't use his quick fix kit. He and I had gotten separated from the group but luckily, we both had wires so I loaned him mine. That's way too much luck to count on on a regular basis for my blood, although if you're not running wires, it's not quite as risky since almost any shop can deal with solid wheels.

Bill

chard

Donation Time
I didn't know you could use sealant with tubes.

Mine has minilites the spare is steel and I don't think the nuts are suitable for the steel wheels. Call me fool-hardy but I'll risk not carrying a spare (gives me more space for beer.:D: )

I do however keep my tyres in good order and pay attention to the age/manufacturing date.

6 psi is a huge amount for a tyre without a puncture to lose between checks:confused:

Nickodell

Donation Time
If you use sealant, be sure to tell the repair shop. The composition may have changed since, but there have been several newspaper reports over the years of explosions, with injuries, caused by the sealant vapor being ignited by an ignition source when mechanic removed the tire. If you do use the stuff, be sure to let your mechanic know. The shop round the corner from here where I get all my punctures fixed always ask if I've used sealant.