• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2 questions

Limey

Donation Time
View attachment 2123Hi all,

Two Questions

1) Starter motor solenoid - was this the 1 piece cast unit with the fixing 'legs' cast as part of the body?

2)What is the correct UK Girling Brake master cylinder spec; .70 or .75?

Ta for all your help!

Oliver

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
master cylinder sizes

Oliver,
I believe the early series cars without a servo used a .70 master cylinder. The later series cars with a servo came with a .825 master cylinder.

.75 is a common aftermarket replacement size, but to my knowledge was never used by the factory.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
master cylinder

Correct, the brakes were Girling, but I believe the clutch hydraulics were Lockheed

John Boggis

Donation Time
View attachment 2123Hi all,

1) Starter motor solenoid - was this the 1 piece cast unit with the fixing 'legs' cast as part of the body?

Ta for all your help!

Oliver

Oliver, the solenoid on the left of your picture( series IV style) has the part number stamped on top of the fixing band. The parts book lists five versions for the different series cars though one is for the auto Alpine. I think the one you are looking for is part number 76465 or 76766.

Limey

Donation Time
Thanks John,

The shiney unit s a repro that i do not want to use, The old unt shown has the part number 7641D whch doesn't help much.

Thanks for the lift brackets, Chocs comng your way

Olly