• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8L V6 pulleys wanted

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I just took a 2 belt pulley to my machine shop friend and had him cut it down to 1 pulley.

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Those of you with 2.8 Experience, help. I got a MU II crank pully from a recyler sent to me last week. This is the cast pully with the timing marks and has four holes to bolt a part behind it (hub). It is only the pulley for the v-belt and there is obviously a hub missing behind it. The hub, I'm talking of is the part that slides on to the crank and offers the sealing surface to the front cover. When I called, the auto recycler acted like I freshly landed at Roswell NM. He only has the remainder of the pully stack (which I don't need). I searched the chiltons and motor manuals at the library and internet and cannot find a picture of what I want. Anyone?

I have a Ranger pully that is fully integrated (cast), but is a two belt design. If I have my machine shop pals cut off one belt ring, how badly will I comprise the dampening effect. 61 Alpine. I see you cut yours, have you had any trouble here? Balancing the rotating parts is in the future.

Just for clarification. This is a ranger engine w/ a MUII front cover.

Maybe I'm over thinking this as I've had past issues with a comprimised harmonic balancer from a BBC. Please advise.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Those of you with 2.8 Experience, help. I got a MU II crank pully from a recyler sent to me last week. This is the cast pully with the timing marks and has four holes to bolt a part behind it (hub). It is only the pulley for the v-belt and there is obviously a hub missing behind it. The hub, I'm talking of is the part that slides on to the crank and offers the sealing surface to the front cover. When I called, the auto recycler acted like I freshly landed at Roswell NM. He only has the remainder of the pully stack (which I don't need). I searched the chiltons and motor manuals at the library and internet and cannot find a picture of what I want. Anyone?

I have a Ranger pully that is fully integrated (cast), but is a two belt design. If I have my machine shop pals cut off one belt ring, how badly will I comprise the dampening effect. 61 Alpine. I see you cut yours, have you had any trouble here? Balancing the rotating parts is in the future.

Just for clarification. This is a ranger engine w/ a MUII front cover.

Maybe I'm over thinking this as I've had past issues with a comprimised harmonic balancer from a BBC. Please advise.

Hi Pete,

You can have the outer groove turned off, without any deleterious effects. I recommend doing it, so that you can get your Alpine running, while you look for the single groove water pump pulley to make it look better. The reason for removing the outer groove, is so you don't have to notch the front crossmember to give the crank pulley clearance.

The hub you seek, is a pain in the rear to remove, and is maybe why the wrecking yard doesn't want to get it for you. It is a simple collar with the sealing surface on the O.D., and a key way in the inner bore. It will have four bolt holes and an indexing pin on the face that faces out.

When you go to install the front timing cover, you should use the following trick. place the timing cover on the engine, with all the gaskets in place. Don't forget to place the little rubber rings on the front of the block that seal the water pasages. Put the timing cover bolts in, but just finger tight, so the cover can move a bit. Now, place the crank pulley hub on the crank and tighten it down. The hub will align the cover to itself, so now you can tighten all the timing cover bolts. If you don't follow this simple procedure, there is a good chance that you will not get the seal concentric with the hub, and this will cause a BIG oil leak at the front seal.

Jose :)

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Jose. Thanks for the installation advice. I'll do that.

Your description of the hub is just what I was expecting. I'll cut the ranger pulley.

I appreciate the timely responses from all.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I finally got a lower (crank) pulley with hub, but it's a two-groove pulley. I already have a couple of single-groove pulleys (no hubs). Does the hub come off of the pulley so that I can swap the two-groove with a single-groove? And can I do this myself or should I take it to a shop? No need to do the machine shop grinding of the superfluous pulley groove if I can just swap them. Thought I'd inquire before taking a hammer to it.

I still have two extra water pump pulleys (single-groove) if anybody wants them. $30 each.

Sam

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Sam,

If your pulley is a true two groove pulley, you can have the outer groove machined off. The earlier two groove pulleys were of a two piece design, where you could just unbolt the outer groove from the inner one.

For those of you who are looking for the single groove water pump pulley, you might want to jump on the ones that Sam has, because they are getting scarce.

Jose :)