• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 oil leak

jzuk7

Donation Time
Finally after 10 years the 2.8 v6 is ready to go in my sv:) However, sometimes I feel I take one step forward and two steps back.

I got the engine to fire and run for a few seconds. I have not set the timing. When I got the engine to run, once the oil pressure came up, I had a massive oil leak around the oil filter adapter. I tired tightening the bolt on the adapter and that did not help. IIRC the adapter came from a Bronco II with a 2.9. I can't remember if I got new o-rings for the adapter. A new set is being shipped from Rockauto.

Today I took the adapter off just to screw the oil filter directly to the block, just so I can get the engine to run. The filters I have will not fit, so I put the adapter back on. When I took the filter off the adapter, the rubber seal that is on the filter was pushed out to the side, like the oil pressure was too high of was forced out at that point.

I then tried a fram 3600 that I had in the garage. Again, once the engine started and oil pressure went up, I had a massive leak around the adapter. I could see the rubber seal was bulged out and appears to be the cause of the leak.

So I took the adapter off again and reinstalled it. This time I tried a fram ph 16 that I had. The engine started and ran for 20 seconds with no leaks. The stock oil pressure gauge is hooked up, but the needle did not move. I assume the gauge is not working. Oil sprayed out a few feet so there is oil pressure.

At this point I think the oil leaks were caused by the rubber gasket on the filters failing. It didn't leak the last time, but I want to make sure the leak is fixed. Anyone have any suggestions on what the problem could be? Is there a chance the engine has too much oil pressure?

I tried to attach a picture of the filter...

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 24

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
That is a strange looking failure. But the only thing that I can think of that would cause any filter seal failure of a properly installed and tightened filter, is improper matching of the seal and the mating surface. In other words, is the diameter of the rubber seal compatible with the diameter of the seal mating surface of the adaptor?

Bill

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
What BB said +1.

And +
As a teenager with first car, I learned to lube the rubber gasket/seal on the filter and the surface it is to contact. If either or both are dry, the rubber can stick and be pulled from its groove.

jzuk7

Donation Time
I want to say that both filters that the seals failed, were installed tight. It is possible that I did not tighten them enough. I actually hoping that is the problem.....easy fix. The seals were coated with oil prior to install. Like I said last time I had it running, it did not leak. Maybe I tightened the third filter one enough.

Before I start it again, I need to get the oil pressure gauge to work. If the gauge pegs out, then I might have a bigger problem. A large oil leak that could pour oil onto a hot exhaust header, while its in my garage is not a good thing.

Other than the oil leak, the engine sounds good. When I get a chance, I'll start a new thread showing the Jensen Healey radiator that I'm using.

Joel

jzuk7

Donation Time
The first filter that failed was a fram ph8a, which is what the bronco II uses, which would be the correct seal diameter.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I want to say that both filters that the seals failed, were installed tight. It is possible that I did not tighten them enough. I actually hoping that is the problem.....easy fix. The seals were coated with oil prior to install. Like I said last time I had it running, it did not leak. Maybe I tightened the third filter one enough.

Before I start it again, I need to get the oil pressure gauge to work. If the gauge pegs out, then I might have a bigger problem. A large oil leak that could pour oil onto a hot exhaust header, while its in my garage is not a good thing.

Other than the oil leak, the engine sounds good. When I get a chance, I'll start a new thread showing the Jensen Healey radiator that I'm using.

Joel

Did you over tighten the filters? This would deform the gasket on the filter. You only need to hand tighten 3/4 turn once the gasket makes contact.

pcmenten

Donation Time
The first filter that failed was a fram ph8a, which is what the bronco II uses, which would be the correct seal diameter.

Is the oil pressure relief working? If it's stuck, the high pressure might be blowing out the oil filter gasket.

I avoid Fram oil filters. Almost any other filter is better quality. Consider using Motorcraft, Purolator, AC Delco, Bosch, or Mobil1.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
How can I check the oil pressure relief valve?

I don't believe pcmenten meant to say relief valve. As far as I know the 2.8 does not have one. Some oil pumps regulate the oil leaving the pump. Don't think this applies to the 2.8. If an oil filter is equipped with one, it opens to bypass the filter element in the case of a restriction He might be referring to the anti drainback valve in the filter. I'm not pushing K&N, this is just a good diagram of the oil filter.

https://www.knfilters.com/wrenchoff_oilfilter.htm

jzuk7

Donation Time
Today I got a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge and tried it. Just cranking the engine over with the switch on the back of the solenoid, I got 25 lbs of pressure on the gauge. I then tried to start the engine. It fire for a few seconds, and the gauge pegged out at 100 lbs. The needle did not return to 0, so looks like the gauge broke. From what I can find, the engine should have between 60-80 lbs.

The engine was remanufactured when I bought it. It has never been run. I installed a melling high volume oil pump. I put the pump in a few years ago. The engine was stored with oil and I would occasionally turn the oil pump to lubricate the motor.

Melling's website says this pump will give a 22% increase in volume and increased pressure. On summit racing, it says these pump come with a high pressure spring.

So is having this much pressure normal for the pump? Has anyone else had this issue?

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
I think you might have found your problem....the high pressure oil pump. When the oil pressure keeps blowing out rubber seals and breaking oil pressure gauges it is likely that your oil pump is the culprit. Is it possible you got a high pressure racing oil pump by mistake rather than just a high pressure oil pump?

Most of the name brands have different pressure oil pumps depending on what you are going to be doing with the engine. High pressure pumps are for the high revving race engines to ensure oiling at high rpms. It's been my experience with the 2.8 engines that a heavy duty oil pump is plenty sufficient to keep the oil flowing.

The only other suggestion I have is that you might have an oil passage within the block that wasn't cleaned out properly when this engine was remanufactured and/or a stray piece of metal got stuck in an oil passage at that time.

Good luck...at least you didn't have the engine installed when you found this problem.

jzuk7

Donation Time
The engine is in the car, so I guess my next step is to pull the pan and take out the oil pump:mad:

Like I said, one step forward, two steps back

jzuk7

Donation Time
Well I think I figure it out. I got an oil pressure gauge tester, which reads to 500 lbs. Hooked it up and started the car. Pressure went to 100 lbs. The pressure eventually dropped to about 50-60 lbs at idle. My guess is the pressure relief valve in the oil pump was stuck from sitting for a few years. Unless something else could cause that much pressure. The engine blew oil through two oil filter o-rings, and broke two cheap oil pressure gauges, which tells me I had way too high pressure. But now it seems to okay.

The engine runs and now I can get everything ready for its first drive :)

Joel

pcmenten

Donation Time
Curious; did you twist the oil pump drive shaft? I've screwed up some of those by adding STP Oil Treatment to a cold engine.