• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 Main cap bolts

altered

Donation Time
Has anyone had any luck buying new main cap bolts for mounting the oil pump pick up? I have a mutt II engine and need the Bronco/Ranger bolts but can't seem to track down these bolts at a wrecking yard. Looking for a Ford part number if one exists.

Thanks, Trevor.

kmathis

Donation Time
Do you have the original cap bolts from the Mustang II motor? If so, that is all that you need. The pick-up tube bracket just goes under one of the Cap bolt hex head. That is what I did, or maybe I have misunderstood and you don't have the cap bolts at all.

altered

Donation Time
Thanks Kelly! That makes complete sense.I do have the original bolts. For some reason I thought I had read that there were "special" bolts that had another way of it mounting. Any idea what those bolts get torqued to?

Trevor.

kmathis

Donation Time
Hi, Trevor:

I do:
Main Bearing Bolts for the 2.8 is: 65-75 ft lbs.

I still had my Chiltons Auto Manual from 1975:eek: in my cabinet, that has come in very handy.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Trevor,

The third main cap bolt, has a machine screw coming out if the top, and is where the oil pump pick up bolts to keep it from vibrating, fatiguing, breaking and falling off. It is a strange looking bolt. I have never just bolted it with just a stock cap bolt, but I guess Kelly has done it with success.

Jose

Thanks Kelly! That makes complete sense.I do have the original bolts. For some reason I thought I had read that there were "special" bolts that had another way of it mounting. Any idea what those bolts get torqued to?

Trevor.