• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 litre ford

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

I would say you'd better not get on it again till you have the hardened keys. If you don't, you will be buying another axle and hub. It doesn't take much to shear those stock keys. When you tale it apart, you might find that they are already beginning to shear.

Jose :)

Thanks for mentioning that Jim. I haven't floored it it 1st for fear of breaking the rear end, but I have in 2nd (after releasing the clutch). I get wheel hop until I finally let my foot of the gas.

I do have a set of hardened keys, but have no installed them yet. Once that is done, do I dare drop the clutch in 1st?

Mike T.

miket

Donation Time
Thanks Jose,

The car is put up for the winter now. But I will take your advise. I need to make an order for other bits this winter, so I'll add rear seals to the list so I can do this first thing in the spring.

Still, I not sure that I should stomp it in 1st.

Mike

Jim E

Donation Time
I have a few sets of the keys left PM me where to mail them and I will send them off.

The hard keys are a must you can shear of a stock key in a moment and it just mangles the hub and axle. I would not drive at all with out changing these out, you are one step on the loud pedal from calling the roll back.

Wheel hop is just hard on everything shocks, rear end, drive shaft, transmission. You just need a set of traction bars with this conversion. I have a set of the traction Master bolt on units, what are they LAT 6 or something like that. You can still buy them new from Traction master for around $150 shipped. Easy to install, you just remove the bottom plate that holds the rear end to the springs and bolt them on. Then they clamp onto the spring pack. They tuck up nice and tight and are hardly noticable. They may not plant the tire as hard as a slapper bar but for street use with a stock rear end you may not want to plant the tires any harder. They do cure wheel hop and the ride is not affect a bunch.

miket

Donation Time
Jim,

Actually the keys I have I bought from you last year. But my focus was to get the car running this year. And that I did. I'll consider the traction bars for next year. Or maybe just go easy on the gas.

Mike