• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 heads

lillypad

Donation Time
My 76 2.8 heads turned out to be cracked so now looking for a lead on a set of 2.8 early non smog heads to finish my motor work.
Thanks John

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
My 76 2.8 heads turned out to be cracked so now looking for a lead on a set of 2.8 early non smog heads to finish my motor work.
Thanks John

Hi John, bummer. How did you find out?

I haven't seen my 85' 2.8 run yet. I bought it off the back of a flatbed truck. It looks ok but it very well could be a compression less, cracked, piece of junk. I'll be nervous during that first start attempt.

I'll keep an eye out for heads.

lillypad

Donation Time
My machinist did the block work, put a 2.9 crank in and when he went to do the heads, I got the call. Ebay... buyer beware. I bought a "running "motor.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
What pistons did your machinist use? How much did the machinist have to trim the piston skirts. I also have a modded 2.9 crank for mine.

pcmenten

Donation Time
Regarding which pistons to use with a 2.9 crank; seems like the original 75 2.8 pistons are the ones to use. As I recall, the original engine had steel shim head gaskets, so the compression height of the pistons left the piston crown .050 down the hole. If you're stroking the engine with a 2.9 crankshaft and using composition head gaskets, use the 75 pistons.

socorob

Donation Time
It's a shame there's not much in terms of performance parts for these engines. Reading through old Capri forums these guys dropped a few grand stroking these engines with good high comp pistons and their dyno sheets would barely show 200 hp, if that. The ones that went all out with the 4.0 crank would get around 225 or so after spending about 5k.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Bigger isn´t always better.

One thing you need to remember, is that if they are using the 2.6 V6, it is very hard to get 200 h.p. from them. Almost all Capri guys tend to use the same cam specs for the 2.8 V6 as for the 2.6 V6, which is a very different animal. The 2.6 V6 has good breathing on the intake side and poor breathing on the exhaust side, because of the siamesed exhaust port. The 2.8 V6´s are totally the opposite, with better breathing on the exhaust side and not so good on the intake side. To get the most from a 2.8 V6, you need to tilt the duration timing toward the intake side. The 2.6 V6 needs the exact opposite.

I don´t know what a 2.9 stroker V6 will make, as far as power is concerned, but it will not run as well as unless it hads the specs for the 2.8 V6, with the cam timing tilted toward the intake.

Jose

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't know if Jim Ellis ever had his 2.8 dyno'd, but it was scary fast. And, he never even got around to installing the NO system he had planned for it.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

Jim Ellis´ Alpine is running the cam designed expressly for the 2.8 V6. I have had even the cam grinder at Delta tell me that those specs won´t work, but I have been using those specs for over thirty years and it works. Since you´ve ridden it it, you can testify to it´s effectiveness.

Jose

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Jose

I know you've posted this before but ....

On that cam, what rpm does the power start coming on and where does it fall off?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

The cam comes on about 3K and will pull to about 6.7K, but will safely go to 7K. It will putt putt around town like grannies grocery getter with no drivability problems, but when you mash the gas and it hits 3K, it will come alive like you can´t believe.

Any aftermarket high performance cam will give better performance than a stock cam will, but this cam will out perform any of those cams. Period. They may have a good lope to them when they idle, but this cam does that plus performs.

Jose

p.s. I didn´t come up with these cam specs, my head porter did because of the way the heads flow, so I can´t take any credit for it.

Jose

I know you've posted this before but ....

On that cam, what rpm does the power start coming on and where does it fall off?

RootesRich

Donation Time
I don't know if Jim Ellis ever had his 2.8 dyno'd, but it was scary fast. And, he never even got around to installing the NO system he had planned for it.

Agreed. I had the pleasure of "driving" it at an Invasion years ago. Up until a few weeks ago, Jim's Alpine was the fastest Sunbeam I'd ever been in. Even faster than George Fallehy's 302 Tiger I rode in when I was a kid.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

Jim used an after market cam billet, just to have enough meat to be able to get .518" of lift. A stock cam will only go to about .496-.498" of lift. The rest of the specs are exactly the same. He wanted as much as he could get, so went with a cam core that had enough material to get it. I don´t recommend going over .500" of lift, so you don´t run the risk of valve to piston interference.

Jose

I thought that Jim modified an aftermarket cam in that one.

alsalp

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

Jim used an after market cam billet, just to have enough meat to be able to get .518" of lift. A stock cam will only go to about .496-.498" of lift. The rest of the specs are exactly the same. He wanted as much as he could get, so went with a cam core that had enough material to get it. I don´t recommend going over .500" of lift, so you don´t run the risk of valve to piston interference.

Jose

Did Jim have to use a truck block for the bigger cam journals?
What exactly is the atvantage to the 2.9 crank? If I understand right it about increasing compression ratio with 2.9 rods and 2.8 pistons?

What does the cam card say on the delta cam?

Al