• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 engine mods

lillypad

Donation Time
I have a 76 Mustang 2.8 motor, 4speed bellhousing, ignition power pack w pigtails and the rear end from the car. Taking it to the machine shop today. I was looking to put together a list for the shop to do. I would like to get 200+Hp out of the engine. Any input would be appreciated. 2.9 valves, porting, cam selection, I know the machine shop has some ideas but want to give them the tried and true mods from the forum
Machine shop can cut the rear end to size too, just need the right measurements and anything to look out for from someone who has had it done.
thanks
john

kmathis

Donation Time
Hi, John:

I am sure that Jose will chime in here on some of this; however, the standared items for a performance V6 is to mill the heads .030, 2.9 valves and the full port and polish, the power on these V6 motors is in the heads, so if you want 200 HP you have to do the full professional port and polish, and after that you need to be sure that the intake gaskets are also trimmed to match the ports. V6 Jose's Delta custom cam grind; bore the cylinders .030; balance the complete rotating assembly, Offy 4 bbl manifold, this two piece manifold needs to have the gasket trimmed to match the ports as well; and a 390 cfm Holley.
I did the port and polish myself and i am getting about 180 HP at the crank, if I was to do this again, I would have it done on an air flow bench.

You will not be sorry, believe me.:D