• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.3L T-5 trans

jzuk7

Donation Time
Will a T-5 from a 93 mustang 2.3L work for the 2.8 conversion? There is one locally that is cheap, and claimed to work.

Thanks,

Joel

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Joel,

The four cylinder transmissions will fit, but their gear ratio selections are not good for this application, especially if you intend on keeping the stock Alpine rear end. First gear is so low, that with the 3.89 gear ratio of the Alpine rear end, it is almost useless. Second gear is close to first, then there is a big gap to third. The overdrive is also lower than the other five speeds, at 18% over.

A much better choice for this application and not too expensive, is the T5 from the 1996 and later Mustang with the 3.8 V6. They are relatively cheap and will have lots less mileage and less abuse than the other transmissions. Jim Stone was able to get one with low mileage, for $200 plus shipping.

Jose :)

jzuk7

Donation Time
Jose,

Thanks for the information. If I were to rebuild this transmission, would I be able to change the gears to that of the 3.8 t-5? Second, would this transmission require the shaft to be machined to the correct size? I haven't purchased it, just wondering if it would be worth the trouble. I eventually plan on replacing the rear end with a mustang II 8 inch. Would a gear ration of 2.75 or around that be usable with the 2.3 t-5?

Thanks again,

Joel