• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1980 Alpine

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Yep, they are Renaults. They have a rear-mounted V6 which I believe (but don't quote me on this) was also used in the Delorean. Very nice cars, but the early ones tend to be very expensive (altough they have a straight 4 engine).

200601093260b_02.jpg

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
I hate to admit (but must stand for what I believe) I place this issue in the same basic category with the "Is it a tiger" or "Oh, it's not a tiger" comment many Alpine owners have to endure (ok, warning, soapbox time). The issue with the french car is the second most annoying question/mistaken identity a long time Alpine owner (and person of English ancestry) gets. A tiger does not technically qualify to be a different model because all tigers are simply modified Alpines and should have been called Alpine V8's. To be another model or different designation, the car should "be" a different car. There aren't rules or regulations to delineate or provide guidelines for this, but there is common sense, something all too long forgotten in modern value challenged society. A Porsche 911 turbo is after all, a Porsche 911, an MGBGT is after all, an MGB, a Volvo P1800 ES is after all a Volvo P1800, a Mustang GT500KR or GT 350H is still a Mustang, and a Lotus Esprit V8 is still a Lotus Esprit, etc etc. I'm sure I'll get ripped on with examples to the contrary of how many others have taken "a" car and simply modified it a bit and called it something else but it isn't going to change that the principle is dodgy at the very least.

We have Sunbeam Alpines. Predating and supplying the basis for the (cutting torched) tiger and also predating the 'ren-alt' that took our cars name. In the annals of automotive history, it may occupy a small bit on a page, and be a little known car, but I sure am proud of my under-rated Sunbeam Alpine.

It is odd how the ren-alt (I know, I dig at them too much but I'll blame it on my Brit heritage) is most often referred to as an Alpine A310 or just an Alpine and rarely includes the manufacturers name. It probably stems from the same public misnomer as beemer rather than Bimmer for BMW's or poorsh instead of Porsch-a for the Stuttgart marque.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
I like the A10, looks like they also used a bit of Karmann-Ghia styling. Those French !

Tom j

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
I like the A10, looks like they also used a bit of Karmann-Ghia styling. Those French !

Tom j

A point it pains me to agree with you on. They are lovely cars and one cannot argue their performance record. And of course they are often in that quite attractive (French nat'l racing color) blue as well aren't they?

lgurley

Donation Time
Well I certainly found out what the car was and in the process discovered that they stopped using the name Renault for this car because the name distracted from the sporting image they were trying to promote.
It looks like a sweet car but it seems to go for a price that I wouldn't pay for it. I'd rather put my money in a real Alpine.

Jim E

Donation Time
I know a bit about the A110 and A310 have worked on an A110 and have driven an A310. Think Alpine was sort of the race division of Renault and they built these cars. The A110 was offered in several trim and tune levels right up to pretty much a flat out race car. You just told them what you wanted to do with the car and they built it. It is now hard to find one of the A110s that has not been converted to full zoot Ralley stage spec. I have heard, not sure if it is true, that there are more ralley spec cars in existance than the factory built.
The A110 I worked on is a CDK out of Mexico that had an electrical fire. Someone chopped the old harness out and then brought it in to have a new harnnes installed...the only replacement harnes sold is for the full on ralley spec car and of course the car it was going into was one of the last unmessed with plain jane cars on the planet, plus built in Mexico and the only wiring diagamre I had was in German and color code did not match...Mexican built french car with a german manual... yeah that was fun...

The A310 has the PVR v6, [Puegou, Volvo, Renault] they started out to build a V8 and ended up chopping two cylinders off it and turned it into a V6. Nissan now uses a version of this motor in most of thier cars to this day. The A310 did not see near the racing the A110 did and it cost the friggin world to buy. having driven one I do not much care for them they are interesting and have a lot of race car in them but they are also heavy, under powered and not at all well balanced way heavy in the rear. Most suffer from over heating issues and the carbs are a nightmare to balance and adjust.

Not my cup of tea but they are interesting cars.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Renault

Renault has (had) a subsidiary that built rally cars. Alpine started out as a tuner that was later absorbed by the parent company. They produced some of the all time great rally cars in the 1960's. Built thier own bodies, chassis but used Renault components.