• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1973 Ford 2.8 V6 For Sale

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
I have access to a 1973 Ford 2.8 V6 for sale. It also has the factory 4 speed transmission, bell housing, clutch etc. with it. Unknown miles on it, but it is alleged to have been running when removed from the donor car. I do not need or want another V6 at this time, but somebody out there does. Price is $150 for the whole thing. Location is Tempe, AZ. Present owner was going to modify a 1966 Alpine and changed his mind....now going restoration route. I have not yet personally seen the engine but will probably get down there next week. Owner does not wish to ship it anywhere. I would entertain the possibility of assisting a fellow member by crating it and getting it to a shipper of the buyer's choice for a modest fee to cover the gas involved.

I am sure that whoever buys it will want to rebuild it. If you are interested, please send me a PM and I will give you the present owner's name and phone number to contact him. I have included all I know about it above, so any other questions will need to be answered by him. He has rebuilt a Tiger and is now doing the Alpine for his wife.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Just an FYI, I dont think ford had begun production of the 2.8 in 73.
The only ford V6 produced in that time frame was the 2.6 and that was for the Capri.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

If it is in a Ford (Mustang II/Pinto wagon/Capri), and it is definitely a 1974 model, it is a 2.8 V6. If it is in a 1974 Capri, the bellhousing is the wrong one, so can´t be used for the T5 swap. Ford didn´t put out the Mustang II until 1974, so if it is in a 1973 Capri, it is a 2.6 V6, which will not work with my kit.

Jose

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
2.8 V6

I just went by what the guy told me....I will go down Monday and check it out to see exactly what he's got. It's almost an hour's drive from my house. I'll post what I find out.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Thanks Jim,

It is pretty nice of you to want to go that far out of your way to help other Dark Siders.

Jose

I just went by what the guy told me....I will go down Monday and check it out to see exactly what he's got. It's almost an hour's drive from my house. I'll post what I find out.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Yes... Please Jim. Sell the dang thing. How's it go? "And lead me not into Temptation".... I'll even help pack it...

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
2.8 V6 for sale

I went to Tempe AZ this morning and inspected the engine. It is definitely a 2.8 engine. Guy that has it said he was just going by what the previous owner told him.

It's all there, right down to the M II motormounts. Has a 5 blade fan, all the pulleys are there, carb , exhaust manifolds, distributor. It has a front sump and the flywheel, clutch, bell housing. The transmission looks just like a T5 with subtle differences. No outside the case linkages.....it's a rail shifter just like the T5. Numbers on the top of the transmission case are: RF-D42R-7222-AA and below those numbers are: 13-32-097-901 . It looks like it would slide right into an Alpine

Negatives: Water pump housing is broken off near the bottom, where the thermostat housing goes. Easily repaired with a new water pump and a new thermostat housing. Everything else OK. Transmission balky to shift, but most likely due to sitting outside for X amount of years. A rear sump oil pan and pickup tube will be needed to use in the Alpine swap.

You could easily spend $150 for the fly wheel, clutch and bell housing. Have no idea what it's like inside, but you'd have to tear it down anyway. At least all the good stuff is there and intact. If nobody out there wants it or needs it, I just might buy it myself as a spare engine.

Same guy also has a complete windshield frame for sale, Series 3-5.