• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1970 Alpine Fastback crushed by a tree. Car or Parts. No reasonable offer refused.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Oops! I mistakenly pegged your fastback as a GT, but the single Stromberg says its actually a Coupe. No aluminum pan or oil pressure guage but still other goodies to be had.

alpinefastback

Donation Time
Engine is Bad

I've just been told by another member that what I thought was a valve tap is actually a rod about to go. So it seems the engine isn't any good.
I apologize to those that were interested in the engine.

The car has been sitting since I moved a few years ago, which it seems wasn't good for the engine because it didn't have this issue the last time I drove it.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've just been told by another member that what I thought was a valve tap is actually a rod about to go. So it seems the engine isn't any good.

The car has been sitting since I moved a few years ago, which it seems wasn't good for the engine because it didn't have this issue the last time I drove it.

A valve tap will occur once every other revolution. Rods clack twice per revolution, so it should be easy to determine which is bad.

Bill

alpinefastback

Donation Time
A valve tap will occur once every other revolution. Rods clack twice per revolution, so it should be easy to determine which is bad
Thanks, that's good advice.
I just wish I could tell by watching the video.
It seems that the clicking is in time when the rocker arm in the foreground depresses.
The cranks spins twice for every single revolution of the cam, correct?
So, if I'm hearing it for one cam revolution, that would equal every other crank revolution, which would point to the valves, but I'm not experienced enough to say conclusively.
If someone is local and interested in the engine, I can start it and they can decide for themselves.

RootesRooter

Donation Time

Since it's a cast-iron head Coupe, anyone thinking of putting the block in a Series Alpine would have to disassemble it first to change the cam, so new bearings and a crank grind is not that big a deal.

Also, the sound quality makes it tough to tell, but I couldn't hear any definitive low end noises.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Adjust that valve and cut a hole for the driver to sit and this car might still be a good daily driver.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
It sounds like a loose valve and from the video, it is the second valve from the front of the engine. I can see it sit still for an instant every once in a while.

Jose

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I hate to resurrect a long dead thread, but somehow this car ended up at a junkyard in Atlanta. I managed to grab a few small bits today.

The engine is still there, and those faux wire wheels are still there, (though one of them looks like it might've been cracked with the help of the tree). In fact, it probably would take less effort to list what's been removed:

Backup light lenses
Grill
Gauges
Badges
Clutch master
Fan

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Greggers,

What application are the "back-up" lens? same as SV?

Would you get them for me if they are the same?

Thanks,

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
The backup light lenses are long gone, but the fixtures are still there. In the attached photo, they're shown dangling, but as I recall, there were some sort of mountings they fit into that bolted to the underside of the rear bumper. I've never seen an SV's backup lights to know if they're the same.

If you're interested, I can grab them, but it'll be well into August before I can get there as I'll be traveling. Perhaps one of the other Atlanta owners will be around the Lithonia Pull-a-Part, dubbed "Atlanta East."

I also visited the Pull-a-Part in Conley, GA, "Atlanta South," and it had a 1974 Mustang with those coveted '74 heads still intact (the 2bbl. intake has been unbolted, so there's a little rust in one of the intake ports). I may go back for those just in case I do a conversion in the future. They'll run about $120. The whole engine would be $200ish. Sadly, the trans and bell were gone.

Attachments

• BackupLights.jpg
    BackupLights.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 17

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The fastback backup light housings and lenses are different than on Series V.

Sounds like it still has the 3.89's, unless they just bolted the axles & backing plates back on so they could roll it onto the wrecker. Be a shame to waste those gears.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Greg,
Thanks for the help! I was after the lens (if applicable to the SV).

Rootes says they are different so that takes care of my wishing.

I have enough housings just looking for another set of "nice" lens.