• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1966 SV Asking $21,500.

Buffalo

Donation Time
I am selling my 1966 Sunbeam Alpine. For many years, it has been in long term display at the Pate Museum of Transportation. Since then I have been diligently and happily keeping this car as original as possible while still making it look and run correctly.

I have a great record of the work I have had done. This includes such things as
Brakes (Servo rebuilt by White Post Restorations)
Carburetor
Rocker Arms rebuilt by Rocker Arms Unlimited
Many parts are from Sunbeam Specialties. Many other parts are from the kind help of enthusiasts.
Seats, carpet, convertible top, interior panels and the like have been replaced new and appropriate.
Sound deadener and heat resistant materials were placed beneath the carpet.
The exterior was taken to metal and the received a beautiful paint job that gathers many complements.
New tires were installed. It has new windshield from Pilkington Glass.
The radiator has a new core allowing the car to run cool even in the Texas summer.
It comes with a tonneau cover, and a great tool set that I received with the car (see photos).
I have all the important parts that came off the car.
The instruments were fully rebuilt by Mo-Ma Manufacturing and look like the just came from the factory.
Chrome work by Ogden Chrome.

It is located in Grapevine, Texas.
I have photos posted at: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/sunbeam/alpine/1951989.html or I can email excellent photos to you.

This car is ready to drive, show and get more awards.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I don't know. Shooting for original...rubber mats, Lighter, valve cover, wheel color, horn ring flat black, gas tank color, overdrive, 11 posts in this friendly crowd, $22 seems a bit rich. But what do I know.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
John, I don't understand your comments. The car is pretty original, in the context of making it run well. Sure there are few areas that miss for someone really trying to make it as close as "Factory Original" as possible, but I don't think that's what Buffalo intended or described. Not sure what you mean by the "Overdrive" comment. By VIN # it did not have one and from the photos I don't think it has one. And yes, 22K may be high, but compared to the cost of buying a "driver" and getting it to this level, it's about right (assuming it's as sound mechanically is it looks).

Tom

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
John, I agree, highly unlikely to get 22. But I can also see the logic of asking for 22. How much would you have to spend if you took a $3k-4 K "driver" and redid the body, with outstanding paint, new interior, and all that has been done to this car? (again, assuming the mechanicals are excellent as well) . Most likely you would not have made the same mistakes you point out, but those are easily corrected.

And, John, what do you mean by your "overdrive" comment.

Best regards,

Tom

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
This is a nice car no doubt regardless of trunk piant job and other things. For $22, and living with other mods, like color coded gas cans, I'd want an overdrive regardless of the lack of "OD" on the ID plate. And trunk panels. Not a comment about originally, Tom. Sorry for the confusion there.

johnd

Donation Time
I am familiar with this car and can confidently say it is as nice as advertised. I can also say that I am disappointed to learn that the owner is selling it.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I was confused also. You lost me in the "11 posts" thing. Someone can ask whatever they feel thier car is worth, and people can make offers.

Thank your for your critique. I agree. Should have just said..."$22! Alpine prices taken off." Any they probably won't be back.

My apologies to the owner.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
This is what appears to be a finely done Alpine. Yes, there are a few "incorrect" elements to it, but very easily made correct with minimal expenditure. Colored gas tanks? So, put the side panels on, and done deal.

I personally would like to see everyone that sells an Alpine set their price where it "should be" (Where it Should Be is just my opinion) We have fantastic little automobiles with exceptional styling and performance compared to many of the other brands.

Don't know how many of you have restored one of these, but I've got $17 into mine not counting any kind of labor. And someone wants to buy it for $10? This ain't no MGB. (Alright, not belittling the MGB.) Well, maybe a little. :D

Good for you, hope you get your price.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not For Sale!

I've had Folks ask me what do I want for my '67 Commodore Blue back when it had the new re-built 1725.... I basically said "Not For Sale".... Meaning I had no intentions of getting rid of all that money spent and my labors (that is labor of love). It can not be recovered:D

I did however quickly say it would have to bring around $25K if it did go from me to whomever. One gent ( a Doctor followed me into the local NAPA Dealer and wanted it for his Dad. I told him there were a lot of them for sale on the SAOCA Forum, that mine was "Not for Sale" even at the $25K or more. You guys can understand hopefully what I am saying. I just was not ready to go thru that labor again just yet?

Then, now with the V6, at least another 8-10K.... Doesn't matter what someone or anyone has to say about THAT BEING TOO MUCH TO ASK;)

It is the Seller's! If you want it, haggle, spit and stutter, walk away or pay the price.

I like to purchase at my price of course, most all folks do, but there comes a time that you will not get it at your price.

Our Sunbeams are sold sometimes below and above their true value. Demand determines price. Desire determine purchase.

Ain't it great?

Keep'em on-the-road,

DanR

67Survivor

Donation Time
My 2 cents.

We, the owners set the selling price of these autos. I think it is great that there are Alpines being offered in the $20k range. I bought a daily driver in the $4k range, and have since spent another $12k to get it back into good shape. I wouldn't sell it for less than $16 now and once the body is finished, I'd be looking for $22k. Please, don't sell the good cars too cheap.

Buffalo

Donation Time
Sold

It sold at the Dallas Mecum auction 9/7. The buyer paid 19,800. (Hammer price 18,000 plus 10% buyer premium.)

cdk84

Donation Time
Alpine sold

HI Buffalo,

Congratulations on having found a way to balance the value you felt the car had with the marketplace. While you might not have gotten everything you hoped for, I think it's a pretty darn god showing for a well restored car. This is said without having seen the car in person, so take my opinion with a grain or two of salt.

How do you feel about the result?

How did you find the auction company to deal with? One never knows, the time might come, one day down the road...

Best Wishes,

David

Buffalo

Donation Time
Alpine Sold

Mecum had a good turn out and did a good job through out the auction. I was there all 4 days and had a great time.

The car did about as I expected. I was surprised I did not get any offer from posting here or on Hemmings. The buyer bought a good car ready to enjoy. I sold a car I put far too much into. I enjoyed the challenges and meeting good people along the way.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Crowing

The buyer is crowing on Fakebook Tiger page, they'll let anyone join and post there:D

I rather have a SIII fins and a late model top.

65beam

Donation Time

Warren,
I'll sell you the remains of a rust free series 3 GT that we cut up for parts to restore my series 4. They're at Tiger Auto so if you want the left overs talk fast because it all goes in the dumpster in the next month. Come to think of it, I never see you post on the Tiger face book page. ??????

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Warren,
I'll sell you the remains of a rust free series 3 GT that we cut up for parts to restore my series 4. They're at Tiger Auto so if you want the left overs talk fast because it all goes in the dumpster in the next month. Come to think of it, I never see you post on the Tiger face book page. ??????

That's because he's a "lurker" with his wife's (or girlfriends account). Too afraid he will be exposed.