• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1966 1725 Motor/Trans For Sale

Obas123

Donation Time
Hi- I have a 66 Alpine SV I just pulled the engine and trans out of- I have a video of the car running and going through the gears while on blocks to show the tranny stays in gear- I also have the oil cooler, radiator, exhaust all the way back, the transmission cross-member, 3 link steering and steering box, and the rear-end all available for sale. Also 5 straight steel wheels , 4 with New Tires driven less than 20 feet!

I only took it apart because I have access to a shop where we can install a 302 , so everything as mentioned must go!!

I am looking to sell as much as possible in a package deal- Have the motor and trans on a crate already- can take pictures or send video also so please ask Q and we can talk-

I am in central California, Pismo area, but get to L.A often and have a truck

Thanks, Obas

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I only took it apart because I have access to a shop where we can install a 302 , so everything as mentioned must go!!

Hope I am not insulting your intelligence, but before you start cutting things for that 302, are you fully aware of what is required to do this? Do you have a junked Tiger for some of the critical components, like the firewall? If not, please do some research here before you start. It is not nearly as easy as most people think and many Alpines have been destroyed this way. There used to be a tread on this site that detailed some of the steps required, but I think it was lost in a previous site crash. There are people here who have successfully done this and they can provide lots of advice and warnings. If you do know what you are doing, then good luck and please keep us apprised of how this goes.

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
Please also note that a converted Alpine will never be worth Tiger money. It is sometimes more cost effective to start with a real Tiger.

I do not want to dampen your enthuasism and if you go ahead with the conversion i wish you the best of luck.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
In 1974, Paul's Foreign Automotive in Hendersonville, NC (where this year's Invasion is going to be held in a few weeks!) gave me a "complete job" price of $400.00 to take a 302 out of a Mustang and put it into an Alpine with shortened rear end and "everything." Haul in, drive out. I thought it was too expensive, at the time, and I bought a 66 Falcon instead.

If I can obtain a 2.x V-6 and Alpine body someone's gave up, wonder if Jim E would take $400 for a complete conversion. :D

coonhound81

Donation Time
Hi are the motor and trans still avaliable? I just inherated a 66 series 5 and want to do a full restoration. Thanks

cbroadbooks

Donation Time
In 1974, Paul's Foreign Automotive in Hendersonville, NC (where this year's Invasion is going to be held in a few weeks!) gave me a "complete job" price of $400.00 to take a 302 out of a Mustang and put it into an Alpine with shortened rear end and "everything."

Whew! The last time I took a car to Paul's, I think it was $400 just for me to walk through the door. It was a Volvo and I supplied the part. Since he didn't make any money off of the part, he increased his price on the invoice to cover the difference (so basically charged me full price for the part), called my sister (owner of a Volvo shop in FL) to diagnose the problem, then charged me 2x the booked labor time.

I don't go there anymore. I also don't (won't) own a Volvo anymore.