• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1963 Harrington Lemans -time to do something

oceanranger2003

Donation Time
I have owned a 63 HLM for about thirty years now ,unfourtuantly the last time I drove it I was 9 years old .My Father bought and raced it in the 70's and promised me the car when I turned 16. Though the car became mine ,he had blown the overdrive and took the car apart around 1980.Back then finding parts was very hard and well ........the car fell on hard times. I have finally decided to do something with the car ,but she is rough. I have found a doner Alpine series II for a new body , but I will need some other parts unique to this model . I believe Harrington may have used parts from other Manufactures to build these cars but I have no clue from what anyone who can help with that?? things like front seat covers ,rear quarter mouldings ,fuel flap. Any feed back would be helpful !!! Thanks

65beam

Donation Time
lemans

post some photos of the car. as you said, many of the harrington specific parts were unavailable when the cars were being sold. you will need to have an upholstery shop recover the seats using your covers for a pattern. the gas cap lid was just a piece of rolled steel to match the contours of the body. there are several harrington owners that frequent this site. what is the vin of your car?

65beam

Donation Time
harringtons

bill,
there are a lot of differences between your type A and the lemans you just bought. have you started on the lemans? they're quite interesting.

atallamcs

Donation Time
differences

Now you tell me, I thought they were the same, yikes!!!
I have not started other than to complete the body work and make it ready for paint. I just might sell the project once that is done and I have sorted all the parts for completeness. This might be the ticket for the fellow thinking he will rebuild his, here is one ready to rock. I am doing an earlier alpine first in terms of restoration.
Bill

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
A Lemans is a lot, lot more difficult to rebody, than the series A/C/D Harringtons, just like what Bob said. I've done both.
Jan

atallamcs

Donation Time
Restoration

Some how I will figure out how to get it done. Will most likely need help from the experts but if there is someone in need of my HLM just drop me a note.
Bill

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bill,
I am very familiar with your car, I did a lot of work mating the top to the body and gluing it in place. I have documented a lot on my HLM and I'll help what I can.
Jan

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
A sealer? :D No, didn't use a sealer. Used SEM 39747 (Multi-Purpose Panel Adhesive).
You need to work FAST!:D Ian & I were running out of time getting all the screws tighten!

barringtonderby

Donation Time
Jumping in to...

Hi Guys

I am also just about to start a full resto - as you can see from the pic of the car as is today lots of work ahead!

The car is missing it's Carlotti wheel and chrome / stainless spears (side trim) :( but seems pretty complete otherwise.

Did anyone get around to re-making or creating a pattern for the side trim? I live in the UK and know of a company which could reproduce them (to a pattern) as well as egg-box grills - would anyone be interested in sharing costs?

My objective is to build a stock car loosely based on the Duke's car - possibly with an egg box grill and also possibly with a centre console which would sit over the transmission tunnel. Anyone have any comments or ideas around that? :confused:

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Attachments

• emerging from container.jpg
    emerging from container.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 46

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I might be making the Carlotti wheels. I have had the centers cut from aluminum sheetmetal many years ago, and they worked great. I'm trying to locate a craftsman to make the wooden grips, but progress is slow trying to do this, a day job, and a family
Jan

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jan I would buy a wheel or two from you when you make them. Do NOT have the guy in South Carolina that Ian met at our SOS here last year do the woodwork on your wheels though. Long and angry story to relate about him....
thanks, Eric

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Eric,
I have a wheel here that I'm working on for you. I also have your "blue" wheel hub, HLM badge here. jan

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Andrew,

welcome to the HLM crowd. Your project looks almost like mined even I´m 2 years ahead. A steering wheel repro is not the biggest issue as long as you get the alu rim shape cut correctly (alu laser cut ). The side trim and the spears are a much bigger issue. I´m almost having a complete set now but still missing the spears. There is a guy in germany who could probaly make them but a lot of Euro for tooling would be involved. Perhaps if we could gather a bigger number of HLM owners...

barringtonderby

Donation Time
Thanks for the warm welcome

Might have someone lined up to make the trims here in the UK

What I need is an original to use as a pattern (which I am working on!)

Andrew