• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1963 Harrington for sale

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
A Tiger pal posted this to CAT. One thing that has not been said there is the car is "on approval" what that meant the last time I had seen a Copart Tiger was. The seller being the insurance company used the bidding public as a tool to jack up the buy back price for the insured. I learned this the hard way by meeting an obviously upset owner of a wrecked Tiger that asked me why my buddy and I bid on the car. It was unfortunate and we did not realize who's car it was at the time the bidding was going on. In this case the internet was not the friend of the owner. I guess the take away could be have a large enough agreed value on your car as if it reaches that amount and it tips the scale to their ownership you are not getting it back for a paltry sum if they have anything to say about it. I suppose if you are cheap like me the way to save in the off season is to ask them to lower the liability limits during a non driving season or go comprehensive only during periods of storage.

https://www.copart.com/lot/35017660/

65beam

Donation Time
Warren,
Since Copart is selling the car then it's been deemed a total loss. The facts are that for some reason it's being sold as a salvage car . Here in Ohio it has to be inspected at the local Highway Patrol inspection station before the salvage title is issued.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Under "Primary Damage" it says: MINOR DENT/SCRATCHES. Something definitely seems not right here.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
We don't know the reason why it's a salvage title. The CHP will need to inspect it before it gets back on a Cali. highway. What they do in another state is moot to this auction. I think anyone can see a broker a breaker or a dealer lic. is needed to bid if they take time to read. Brian the gent that dropped this on CAT is what I could call a bad influence. He only pings me with cars for sale and stuff not those other things he has been doing this for years. Do I need a reminder that I can't bid no, I can read. If you look at my gallery you can see another Copart nugget Tiger, from years ago. I doubt it'll go for cheap as it really is "on approval" Since they do not post the VIN except for the picture here it is. As there is no cooperation from individual states that I am aware of here is the VIN for all those search engines out there 9115475 What happens in Vegas doesn't always stay in Vegas.... :)

94199e6b-869f-4351-ab95-c3119cb03c8f.JPG

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ah gee Warren, it still had a bit of paint to match the original color.

I was seriously looking at the Copart HLM and gave a call to an acquaintance down that direction who I thought still had an HLM I was trying to buy. I figured he might know something about the Copart HLM. Then he tells me he sold his HLM. Aghast, I said, "WhaaaT! Why didn't you call me?" He let me know there was a young local that was very interested and now it appears that the interest only went as far as dismantling the HLM. Currently the basket-case HLM may be for sale. Not all Copart sells need a dealer or dismantle license. It depends on the regulations in the state the car is being sold. California requires either license, thus, unless you have either license you need to hire a Broker or find some other get-around (like have a dealer or dismantle licensed friend). The fees on all of this process start to rack up petty rapidly along with transportation costs. Yes, this Copart HLM is "an approval" auction meaning the owner can either accept or reject the highest bid. In 90 minutes it will be clear if the vehicle sells. Maybe it will pop-up somewhere else.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
HLM CoPart bid went to (I think) $16,700 - it blipped so quickly it may have been France or California. Update: HLM SOLD (approved) for $16,700.

With 30K -40K restoration cost probably a good buy.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wonder if that fire could have been prevented or reduced with an inertia switch for the fuel pump?
Good one.....
I did not buy that car.
But as I understand it it is owned and being put back together believe it or not.