• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1962 Harrington LeMans

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Hey Kim,

Thanks for posting, that's a great site with some amazing machinery on offer. I must bookmark that one for an occasional visit.

Cheers, Lance.

65beam

Donation Time
lemans

jan,
is this the car that was in chicago at one time and then was auctioned and went to japan?

alpine_64

Donation Time
It's interesting that the car appears to have one of the rapier rocker covers (embossed S where the filler cap normaly is and filler neck at the front).
primary_4352_5.jpg

They have also blocked off the termostat and overflow on the header tank, i wonder if they have used a SI early SII housing off the front of the head to mount a thermostat?

IIRC the car that was in japan had a SV front end in it and a 1725 and the optional clayton delware (sp?) servo... while there are no pics underneath the engine compartment sure looks like that cars.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I know that you could customise the interior of the Harrington Alpines and LM's, different levels of trim on seats, door trims and indeed steering wheels and dash. It would be interesting to know if this car has its original Harrington installed dash.

Being an upmarket car i would assume many owners ordered special accesories, clocks, ammeters, cigar lighters, this is the first LM though i have seen where the dash layout is different from stock,

There is no provision for a guage on the left of the steering wheel (where the ammeter or blanking plate normally are)

The dash has been made with the clock hole the size of the normal gauges and mounted the ammeter there. There is no provision for a lighter and it looks to have added an ignition warning light. There is also a heater control panel that appears to be maybe a matt black metal and has been stamped with the various lables (cold | hot | screen | car). All nicely done, just wonder if it was part of a restoration or special ordered at the time.

primary_4352_8.jpg
primary_4352_9.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
lemans

that is not an original harrington dash. the lemans had the original plastic dash with a formica piece glued over it to give the appearance of wood. they also retained the surround for the glove box. notice that it appears to have the surround from a later car around the heater controls. i'm taking the dash for the car we just bought to the person that made the dash for my 69GT. the formica is loose around the edges. he plans on glueing wood veneer over the dash instead of using the original veneer even though the original is in good shape.

65beam

Donation Time
lemans

i noticed the glove box door does not have the lock with the original handle to open it. the handle was held on by the lock . go to my photobucket site and you will see an original dash in a two owner car that has about 28000 miles showing.

alpine_64

Donation Time
notice that it appears to have the surround from a later car around the heater controls.

Bob,

I dont think that the heater control is an alpine part, its a flat bit of metal or platic with the markings stamped into it. Its cut int he shape of the SI/II bezel. It also has leess markings than a stock part. I'd guess that this was all donr during the resto.

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

michael,
since it's not an original dash the heater control bezel is probably not a sunbeam part since the ends appear to be rounded. whoever made the dash did a fairly neat job. it also has an aftermarket steering wheel which is a good idea since the originals are so weak and tend to break. it also is missing the pressure relief valve on the coolant overflow tank. overall it appears to be a nice car. but photos are deceiving.

alpine_64

Donation Time
michael,
since it's not an original dash the heater control bezel is probably not a sunbeam part since the ends appear to be rounded. whoever made the dash did a fairly neat job. it also has an aftermarket steering wheel which is a good idea since the originals are so weak and tend to break. it also is missing the pressure relief valve on the coolant overflow tank. overall it appears to be a nice car. but photos are deceiving.

Bob,

We are on the same page, but think you must be missreading my posts, i pointed out in the original response that the heater control bezel was not a sunbeam part and that the header tank was missing its overflow...

Car seems presentable.. but as you say, photos can be quite deceptive, and they are being shot in a situation where there is controled lighting to best show off the car. Given the prices they are asking for some of the other cars on their site, i'd shudder to think what they will ask for this when they put the price on it... i'm thinking they will ask 50+

65beam

Donation Time
lemans

michael,
you said it was missing the thermostat and over flow. the header tank for a series two sets on top of the thermostat. it would not be possible to use the thermostat housing from a later car since that would mean turning the tank 90 degrees and the filler cap would be on the side facing the radiator.

alpine_64

Donation Time
michael,
you said it was missing the thermostat and over flow. the header tank for a series two sets on top of the thermostat. it would not be possible to use the thermostat housing from a later car since that would mean turning the tank 90 degrees and the filler cap would be on the side facing the radiator.

Bob,

I didnt suggest using a later housing, i was wondering if they had used the early housing from a SI or early SII (with the rounded header tank with overflow into the filler neck) I thought the squared off tank like this one with the seperate overflow used a different thermostat housing to the SI and early SII cars (my car runs the SI style setup with the thermostat under the tank and overflow from the neck).

I was wondering if they are running a thermostat on the car, seems they have used the early type neck all be it facing backwards.