• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1961 Alpine on ebay

alpine_64

Donation Time
Car would be a nice buy.. but one thing that stands out..

The front apron bellow the bumper is gone.. and replaced by a lip spoiler.. intially i though they had just added it .. but if you look at the side photos.. the lower section is gone.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Boy that is one mishmash of a sunbeam.

Look carefully at all the pictures to see if you can count all the series of parts on that car!

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
OOPS! Just called the lister. Owner wants $9500....

Way overpriced.[/QUOTE]

I was shocked. I didn't look at it as close as you guys did. I figured it was relatively complete so it might make a good starting platform.... This guy was an intermediary for the owner. Probably jacked it up a bunch looking for the home run.

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
This looks like a good project car. It does not seem to have been too badly messed with in my opinion.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Boy that is one mishmash of a sunbeam.

Look carefully at all the pictures to see if you can count all the series of parts on that car!
No, I don't think so, but the wiring, coil, strange fuel filter thing, some bottle are all monkey'd up. Looks like a Lemans oil cooler installed?
What does bothers me is the brake booster. That's the same B/B as my Lemans I think.
If one of us could detailed this car and get everything correct, it would be really cool.
Jan

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Booster
Fuel filter (without fuel pump)
Isnt the top an SII?
Late oil filter base and cooler.
Indeterminate brake and cutch master cyl + reservoir location.
Relocation of relays and wiring (does the car have OD? seems to have the relay).
Odd holes in passenger side tappet cover.
SII tank and presumably radiator (based on hose diameter).
Look carefully to see where the booster is getting its vacuum.

A good start for sure but $9500?

alpine_64

Donation Time
*The soft top is correct SI 3 window (early SII have them aswell)
*The header tank looks fine to me.. the later SII's had the squared ones with termostat mounted in them, are you saying its an early SII tank?

Dash is the wrong colour
Has a few incorrect aftermarket gauges/clock/lighter
has the window winder handles on the door handles.
Other make handles on the window winders

All up.. is a much better starting point than many cars.. As a side note.. 9500 to me sounds fine (but im in AU.. so values are different).. but it surely puts into perspective that SV for sale on the baord last week...with the webers/panasports/rollbar rust free into perspective at 10,500.. why hasnt anyone snapped that car up!!!

RootesRacer

Donation Time
*The header tank looks fine to me.. the later SII's had the squared ones with termostat mounted in them, are you saying its an early SII tank?

Yes that is an early SII tank, as I said its the radiator hose size that tells me its an SII tank and likely rad.

All up.. is a much better starting point than many cars.. As a side note.. 9500 to me sounds fine (but im in AU.. so values are different).. but it surely puts into perspective that SV for sale on the baord last week...with the webers/panasports/rollbar rust free into perspective at 10,500.. why hasnt anyone snapped that car up!!!

Keep in mind here we are talking USD here, not AUD which would be close to 16k.

Well 10K is a lot of money when you know you are going to have to spend so much more to restore the car. This car is rather complete albeit with some odd modifications, but IMO a 10K car ought to be a bit better sorted than that.

I just insured my car today for 15K agreed value and I can assure you that it is definitely more than 1 and a half times that car, even with bits this car has and mine doesnt. Even still only exceptional cars fetch much over 10K here, but there are some exceptions.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jarrid,

Yes, our AU$ has made a big fall which means that comparatively yes the car would be more here now though 9K is about 14,500. i just had a discussion with Jose about this car.. and alpines in general.

It seems USA owners do not put much end value into the cars.. thats fine. I guess the way i look at it is.. regardless of what car you have alpine, tiger, MGB etc.. if you get a good straight largelly complete car you are starting a long way infront and i would pay a premium for that.

I think this car would consume another USD$10K to make really nice (trim, paint, rubbers and some mech) so the car would cost you 20 all in. However thats not bad to build a really nice car. Ask Ian, Jan, Paul S.. even Jim E how much you can have in these cars to get them nice.

The if you are not tracking down all the little bits here and there you will also save a lot of $ and time.

I dont care what they are worth in the end.. but i do care about the end result.. spending another 4K to get a really good straight car largely complete would well outweight the cost of fixing a slightly cheaper less complete car.

Just my .02c

Oh and by the way.. I once again say.. that straioght rust free SV with the rollbar/panasports, webers etc.. on the board for 10K is a steal... in AU you would not be asking less than 20K for it.. and im sure in the UK its a GBP7K+ car.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I dont think its so much that we put a low end value on the cars, but rather that here we have the lions share of alpines and we often see cars farther along on the restoration process that actually cost less.

Being formerly in California, rust free alpines are not such a big deal, it came with the territory.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
There are more good, solid Alpines in the states, than guys that want to buy them, so the market sets the price. Unfortunately, some guys that are new to Alpines, run into an Alpine that is in poor shape for the asking price and promptly fall in love, not knowing that there are better examples out there. Once a guy falls in love, he's toast. That is why some cars sell for more than they are worth.

Jose :)