• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1960 right hand drive Alpine

Geoff

Donation Time
Just curious, would a 1960 Alpine be worth more if it is a right hand drive car because of it's scarceness or would it be worth less because fewer people would want to drive one?
I am looking at one for possible purchase . I realize that structural integrity is most important, but am curious about the value based on the above question.
Thanks
Geoff

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Good question and no easy answer. I bought our RHD S5 Alpine a long time ago. The seller advertised it locally for 5 months and everyone who came to look at it walked away when they saw it was RHD. So the price kept coming down every month. When the price was right, I bought it! RHD cars are an oddity in this country but I think nowadays more people would buy one especially if it were a rare car. What do you want in a car? It is your choice. I have several RHD cars and the only problem I have driving one is drive-through windows and ATM machines and toll roads. Certain driving situations are harder too but you can compensate for it most of the time. Some of the looks you will get are priceless-like if you are driving down the interstate and your wife is reading a book or the newspaper-people assume that she is reading instead of driving the car! My buddy got a ticket in his RHD car just for that but that is another story....Eric

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
As far as I am aware the RHD versus LHD does not have an effect on value

I have a RHD series 2 whch attracts more attention because it is RHD.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think it kind of depends on the car and the market segment that it falls into. For a true collector car, I don't think it makes any difference at all, since folks are buying the car for it's collectability, not for it's driveability, per se. But if the car is in a market where driveability is key, then I do think it makes a difference. IMHO, the Sunbeam Alpine falls into the "driver' market since folks buy it to drive it, not to trailer it. However, the Tiger has really moved into the 'collector' market at this point, and though many folks do drive and enjoy them, many are now (sadly) becoming trailer queens. So, on a Tiger, no, I don't think it matters, but for the Alpine, yes, at the present time I think it would.

Just one man's opinion. Your mileage may vary. :)

Oh, and I have two RHD cars - my '67 Morris Traveller and my '49 Triumph Renown. The Morris is a piece of cake, but the Triumph is a real trip to drive... it's a 3-speed column shift on the left side of the steering wheel! :eek:

MyRenown.jpg

"The Gray Lady"

IMG_1225.jpg

"Maurice"

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Oh, and I have two RHD cars - my '67 Morris Traveller and my '49 Triumph Renown. The Morris is a piece of cake, but the Triumph is a real trip to drive... it's a 3-speed column shift on the left side of the steering wheel! :eek:

Well yes, of course that's the side it's supposed to be on! But then it's all
based on what you're used to. The few LHD cars I have driven (B body Chryslers) were so weird at first, particularly shifting gears with your right hand! It's just not normal :D Once you're used to judging distances when parking etc. it gets easier. Here in Victoria once the vehicle is 25 years old it can carry normal registration without a steering conversion, but this wasn't the case a few years ago.

Hey puff4, is that you standing beside the Triumph in the white 3 piece? Fantastic! Gosh I miss the seventies.......... sigh.

Cheers, Lance (in beautiful RHD Australia.)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey puff4, is that you standing beside the Triumph in the white 3 piece? Fantastic! Gosh I miss the seventies.......... sigh.

Cheers, Lance (in beautiful RHD Australia.)
Yeah, but that was in the late 80's... I was getting married that day!

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
G'day Michael,

Apologies to Geoff for the thread hijack, I haven't been a Victorian club member for some time now, I got side tracked with Alfas and stuff. I recently retrieved the Series IV (RHD, that sort of ties it in) from long term storage and I am currently in the process of "re commissioning".

Lance.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Geoff,

Gotta ask... is there anything unique about the fuel filler or the trunk area?
(for instance do you find a patched over hole in the top of the right rear fender)

Steve