• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1959 Rapier paint color

Chrisp Rapier

Donation Time
Here are a couple of pictures from two late 50’s, early 60’s Sunbeam Rapier brochures showing the colour schemes offered for those years, unfortunately no codes supplied.
Oddly enough the brochures have no dates printed on them. Cars described have 1494cc engines, so no newer than early 60’s.
Very interesting! Thanks for that. There in print is my color scheme. Pearl grey / Pippin red and the Pearl grey vinyl with Bright red vinyl.
interior.jpg

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
There is no way for me to take a sample of the second color. It is the roof and accent on the body panels.
I found that the paint shop could do pippin red very easily - they scanned it with a spectrometer and the match is spot on - so I suspect it maps to a modern colour - the can says: Lucite L400 Microcar - colour 'Bordeaux'

The Moonstone didn't come up with a match on the spectro and it took them two goes to get it right. I left a headlight bezel with them so they could let the paint dry and check it.
Our car has been repainted, so no telling if the Moonstone is factory correct. The red seems to match old original parts though.

Attachments

• IMG_9284.jpg
    IMG_9284.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13

Chrisp Rapier

Donation Time
I found that the paint shop could do pippin red very easily - they scanned it with a spectrometer and the match is spot on - so I suspect it maps to a modern colour - the can says: Lucite L400 Microcar - colour 'Bordeaux'

The Moonstone didn't come up with a match on the spectro and it took them two goes to get it right. I left a headlight bezel with them so they could let the paint dry and check it.
Our car has been repainted, so no telling if the Moonstone is factory correct. The red seems to match old original parts though.
Excellent. Good to hear about it. What a cool car you have. I really think the Rapier makes a great convertible.