• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Shows they have only 3 and of course they are low compression engines (8.5/1) for export territories.

Still, the crank, block, rods are all new.

Swap the cam and the pistons and it might still be a low cost motor (for someone in Europe).

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Shows they have only 3 and of course they are low compression engines (8.5/1) for export territories.

The site actually lists two different blocks. A low compression and a high compression. They have two of the high compression blocks. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rootes-Mi...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f2674ce0f

I sometimes buy small parts on eBay have them shipped to colleagues in the UK, who then bring them over for me when they come on business. I wonder how they'd feel if I asked them to put an engine block in their suitcase?

alpine_64

Donation Time
They have been slow selling items, They had 6 of each originally, If shipping wasn't so prohibitive to Au i would have bought one.. I would by the low compression one.. As i have 2 sets of NOS stock size Hepolites.. standard comp and flats... cheap HC engine.

That said.. how knows if these were stored as they were not to spec, lots of NOS parts we get are sometimes the factory returns/seconds.. hence why you see small pits in chrome, or marking on things.

65beam

Donation Time
e bay

sunbeam specialties was selling these blocks in the 80's. there is one of them in the wife's car and there is now one in the series 4. they are not rejects.

alpine_64

Donation Time
sunbeam specialties was selling these blocks in the 80's. there is one of them in the wife's car and there is now one in the series 4. they are not rejects.

Bob,

I think you missed the point of my post.. the ones Rick had in the 1980's may well have been fine.. the ones in this auction have showed up in the UK in 2013.. 33 years after Rick had his.. they may not be from the same batch.. Rick might have got his from the manufacturer, who knows where these came from? There is nothing to show these like many other NOS parts that are "found in storage" are not returns, or indeed have been stored correctly.

My point is buyer beware.. these are a CORE.. they may be perfect.. they may not be... and if i bought one i'd be checking all the tolerances to make sure... not just bolting it in.

65beam

Donation Time
let's go back a few years in time to when Chrysler decided to close the various sunbeam parts warehouses around the world. they started taking bids for the inventory. the entire inventory of the east coast warehouse was bought by TT. others bought inventory elsewhere. the dealer inventory was another matter. they could not send back inventory so they did the same thing. they sold it. I was able to get the inventory from a dealership in w va. along with the sunbeam inventory came all of the simca inventory. that's another story! I also was able to buy a lot of inventory from a closed dealership from a friend that wanted all of their VW inventory. he had to buy everything but had no use for the sunbeam inventory. the price was cheap so why not buy it. then you had places like orphan auto parts and others that bought up items. there wasn't much of a demand at that time but now the folks that held onto those items are selling the items for a huge profit. many know how I used to buy items over the last 30+ years as did many others. now our little hoards are worth $$$$$$$. parts return allowance is probably better now than it was when beams were new. I had to deal with that end of the business as the mopar oil distributor so for about twenty years I kept up on their return program. I guess my point is that NOS parts being sold today may not be rejects because dealers didn't and still don't have the ability to return parts at will. most of the parts are 40 to 50 years old so the finish is worse than it was when new. I would say that the buyer of these engines was happy to unload them to the person now selling them. they don't look to be a core. if I were to buy another I know I would take it apart to check for rust ,etc just as a precaution. there is no reason for a buyer to beware. just cautious! there are a lot of neat items still out there and the owners are just waiting for the right time to sell. cars and NOS parts make a good retirement fund.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I bought a "NOS" Cam shaft for my Series V Alpine from them about two years ago.... Paid $35.00 +shipping.

Also, I bought two sets of "NOS" Head Bolts. I think I paid $2.00 each...

Bought 3 NOS Fuel pumpsAbout $30.00 each... Not bad if you needed them like I did for rebuild.

No great problems with thw company.... But, at one time on the Fuel Pumps I got a "bit antsy" because of the shipment delay, more than two months as I recall.

DanR

65beam

Donation Time
dan,
I've run into a few times that shipping from the UK has taken several months. I bought a box of NOS rootes oil filters a few years back. they were shipped in march and showed up in august. that was a little extreme but I sometimes see items taking close to a month. I guess it all depends on what rate they use to ship. it only took one day for my luggage rack to be delivered from the UK to my house. that was shipped via DHL.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
That said.. how knows if these were stored as they were not to spec, lots of NOS parts we get are sometimes the factory returns/seconds.. hence why you see small pits in chrome, or marking on things.

That might explain the small chip missing from almost the entire set of lifters I bot from VB.

RootesRacer

Donation Time

That might explain the small chip missing from almost the entire set of lifters I bot from VB.

No, thats crappy machine work and no quality control.
I dont think they are NOS parts.

I had a set of those ages ago and VB wouldnt let me return them.

The "chip" is from an automated grinder where the parts were presumably dropped after the convex was ground, then the unobservant operator had the faulty lifters parkerized.

Gotta love VB.

65beam

Donation Time
I found out today that new 1725 engine blocks are coming to the states to one of our sunbeam parts suppliers. they are the same blocks that rick sold in the 80's. they were made in france and were intended to be shipped to iran. the entire lot which amounted to a very large number did not ship due to a problem with the company buying them. they are supposed to be in excellent shape having been properly stored instead of sold for scrap. they were intended to be used with the iron head. the ones on e bay are probably out of the same batch.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I found out today that new 1725 engine blocks are coming to the states to one of our sunbeam parts suppliers. they are the same blocks that rick sold in the 80's. they were made in france and were intended to be shipped to iran. the entire lot which amounted to a very large number did not ship due to a problem with the company buying them. they are supposed to be in excellent shape having been properly stored instead of sold for scrap. they were intended to be used with the iron head. the ones on e bay are probably out of the same batch.

This mean they have the wrong cam and pistons?

65beam

Donation Time
I guess it all depends on what you intend to do with the engine. these are new so they are a good starting point and as far as the pistons I have had no problems with the blocks I bought in the 80's. these engines do not have cams installed. they are a new block with rods,pistons and crank. one may end up in the RHD lemans we're restoring.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
This is exactly why Alpines will never get to the value some would hope they would. Warehouse, barns and people's closets just keep oozing NOS parts.
As they say, "There is no such thing as a rare Alpine part".

On the up side, it's great for the restorer and rebuilder!

Paul

Last edited: