• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 - Where to Start ? To get it to Start

chazza

Donation Time
.... It is still smoking out of the tailpipe although you have to look at the tailpipe to see it. I the process i have turned the jets on the carbs about 1.5 turns clockwise (in) and have noticed that idle accelerates slightly with each quarter turn on the rear carb. Although there is still some smoke I can only presume it is still rich. I took the plug out and they were black with soot.

When it is warm I noticed it is harder to start. I though it was gunk on the plugs so I parked and came back 2 hours later expecting it to be hard to start but it started on the first bump unlike when it was warm.

Yes, you are correct these are all classic symptoms of an engine running rich.

Try adjusting the mixture with the mixture screw; if all is well with the carb/s it should idle well at a sensible mixture. It is important to do carburettor adjustments when the engine is completely warm; however; so take it for a blat at a good speed on an open road, for at least 10 miles first.

If you can't get the mixture lean enough, check that the air cleaner is not dirty; that any choke, or fuel-enrichment-device is really in the off position and not partially on, before stripping the carburettor.

Other possible causes for running rich could include - depending on what type of carburettor it is - incorrect jets; worn or damaged jets; incorrect float level; leaking gaskets or warped joint faces.

Good luck; you are awfully close to solving the problem,

Cheers Charlie

mferris

Donation Time
There, I fixed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO5Wqzoyd2w

I realize that I now need to move to the Modified forum, and I will, but I spent last evening trying to get the Strombergs to lean out with little success. I ran it this morning and leaned it out until idle increased - but it was still smoking a little out of the tailpipe, and once I got on the road - even a little loaded acceleration would backfire through the carbs. I made it to the gas station to refill - but it wasn't fun.

Picture of the wet intake:
http://bit.ly/1rrTOy7

Picture of the removed kit:
http://bit.ly/1voWNJe

I presume the Stroms are still okay and in an experts hands would likely do well with new needs/etc. But since I could not find rebuild kits readily last week online - I just threw a Weber on it.

With the Weber - it idles very well (after I adjusted the idle mix and throttle per online instructions), doesn't smoke, but backfires under hardish acceleration, I presume the accelerator pump is too much (and my existing plugs are likely weak given that they are black with soot from the Strombergs) - and/or I will need to work on jetting - I'll ask on the Modified forum.

Picture of the Weber install:
http://bit.ly/YtX7KO

Thanks again - I'm almost there, again......

-M

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
No need to move to Modified forum for a carb change, it's still considered "Stock" , note that "stock" is in quotes. Note the description: "For those striving to preserve the period look & feel of their car" .

Tom

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Thanks for the pointers.

I have run it for about 25 minutes around the neighborhood. Only once did I get a backfire/puff through one of the carbs. It is still smoking out of the tailpipe although you have to look at the tailpipe to see it. I the process i have turned the jets on the carbs about 1.5 turns clockwise (in) and have noticed that idle accelerates slightly with each quarter turn on the rear carb. Although there is still some smoke I can only presume it is still rich. I took the plug out and they were black with soot.

There is not really any hesitation off idle and I haven't gotten it past 25 mph but have tried to rev some. (Which is when the backfire happened).

When it is warm I noticed it is harder to start. I though it was gunk on the plugs so I parked and came back 2 hours later expecting it to be hard to start but it started on the first bump unlike when it was warm.

I'll look for colortune or another solution tomorrow but presume I will have to do something with the carbs. I might just see it I can throw this 32/36 on if it is easily reversible.

The bad starting/running when warm is another strong indication of worn needle valves.