• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 piston(s) std bore wanted?

RichardL

Bronze Level Sponsor
Taking apart a 67 1725 series V. Piston #4 is frozen pretty darn good I may have to break it out. I’m trying to get this car running for the fun of it and want to just make it run and complete before throwing serious money at it. I bought it for $1200 and everything is locked up. It sat for 30yrs. No it doesn’t make great sense but it’s a nice puzzle for an old mechanical engineer who just liked Alpines back in the day. I don’t plan on leaving it in pieces and would like to see it running for the challenge. A little smoke won’t bother me for starters and this isn’t much harder to work on than my lawn tractor. Once I get it complete and running I’ll go from there. It was honed re ringed and ran when parked from what I heard.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
My $.02, I had an engine that sat with water. NO turn! Solid as a Rock!

I wrote it off, BUT....what could I loose...

I put some penetrating GOO in the cylinders and forgot about it for a few months.

When I got back to it, I broke it loose with WAY less effort than I gave it originally.

Now it turns quite free!

DW

RichardL

Bronze Level Sponsor
My $.02, I had an engine that sat with water. NO turn! Solid as a Rock!

I wrote it off, BUT....what could I loose...

I put some penetrating GOO in the cylinders and forgot about it for a few months.

When I got back to it, I broke it loose with WAY less effort than I gave it originally.

Now it turns quite free!

DW
Thanks, yeah, been soaking it since february or so. I have 3 out of 4 out. PB blaseter, brake fluid, Marvel, lately Superzilla with a little heat. going to try heating (gently) and putting dry ice in piston to thermo cycle it and maybe break it loose next but planning on a backup plan.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
A 50/50 mix of Naptha & ATF shaken not stirred seems to work. I had # 4 stuck also but the chances of it being good are slim. Watch for broken rings!
I ended up getting a set of .010 over pistons from SS years ago.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
It is surprising how well an engine can run with less than perfect cylinders and rings,

But valves really need a higher degree of sealing.

DW

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
Soaking with acid (hot vinegar, dilute sulfuric acid, or diet coke) is very effective. I would think that since you have three out of four free, that the last one should come free with diet coke. Is the cylinder head off? Got a pressure washer?

RichardL

Bronze Level Sponsor
Soaking with acid (hot vinegar, dilute sulfuric acid, or diet coke) is very effective. I would think that since you have three out of four free, that the last one should come free with diet coke. Is the cylinder head off? Got a pressure washer?
Head is off. Do you think acids do significant damage. I could try that.

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
Maybe clean the cylinder with pressure washer, get the oil and grease out. Acid attacks the rust first, piston second, cylinder walls not much at all. Tap on piston, vibrate it, you can see from the location of bubbles where the chemical action is happening. Rock the crank....can you get at the flywheel teeth?

RichardL

Bronze Level Sponsor
Maybe clean the cylinder with pressure washer, get the oil and grease out. Acid attacks the rust first, piston second, cylinder walls not much at all. Tap on piston, vibrate it, you can see from the location of bubbles where the chemical action is happening. Rock the crank....can you get at the flywheel teeth?
Pistons and rod in block is all that is left basically. Pressure wash could be done easily at this point to get fresh penitrent or whatever in there. Good option to try next thanks.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a unused set of std. rings for the1725. If you get to needing them just let me know.
Yours for postage.
Bob

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
I know that you're being very methodical, but:
don't use a hammer on the con rod. You can run a dowel or whatever down into the inside of the piston to tap on the underside of the crown.

RichardL

Bronze Level Sponsor
I know that you're being very methodical, but:
don't use a hammer on the con rod. You can run a dowel or whatever down into the inside of the piston to tap on the underside of the crown.
good advice thanks. fortunately I didn't do that since crank was removed and caps were off. yesterday #4 finally broke free.

RichardL

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have a unused set of std. rings for the1725. If you get to needing them just let me know.
Yours for postage.
Bob
thanks. when I finish cleaning and inspection and am sure of what way I am going I'll get back to you. May take a few weeks with other priorities and verifying piston and rod specs.

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
good advice thanks. fortunately I didn't do that since crank was removed and caps were off. yesterday #4 finally broke free.
pTqKpj7ec.jpg

RichardL

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yours for postage.
Bob
Hi, I was able to get some measurements and i am definitely std bore. Let me know know how much and I can send money and shipping info if you are good with selling. I can PayPal or zelle if you do that. Thanks for your help.