• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 Engine re-assembly tips or tricks?

JConstable

Donation Time
At long last everything is together to rebuild the lower end of a 1725. Current set up includes a lightened fly from an SII/SIII to be used with an 8.5" disc, 0.0030 overbore with new pistons, KB cam grind, new harmonic damper from BHJ and all new bearings. Now the question.... are there any tips, tricks, pointers, or things to be extra careful about as I start to re-assemble the engine? Thanks in advance. John

alpine_64

Donation Time
If you havent already.. make sure all the water passages up the back have been scrubed with an abbrasive wire brush.. make sure all items are super clean.. take you time and follow the WSM

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor

Ive heard that it is always the number 3 rod that fails if you throw a rod....I hear if you slightly enlarge the oil feed hole on number three it will solve this...Mike

JConstable

Donation Time
Been off the site for a few days. Thanks for the tips. The block (inside and out) has been scrubbed vigorously with wire brushes, scrubbed with soap, rinsed with a pressure washer. Before final assembly starts I'll give a wipe with acetone. The number three oil channel is a good trick and otherwise it sounds like keep it clean and follow the WSM. Thanks to all. John