• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 Camshaft Question

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I took the car out for it's first proper run since fitting a brand new 1592cc camshaft and followers today. Everything else such as valves, rings etc is unchanged I did everything from the bottom of the engine and didn't disturb the top. Compression is up across the board. All cylinders hit 100-110 on first 'pump' and 155-165 after four rotations. I am more than happy with that, this is a massive improvement.

The car started immediately and drove smoothly and powerfully. At motorway speeds the revs were massively down. Previously the car was screaming at over 5,000 rpm with just over 60 showing on the speedo. Today we had 80 showing on the speedo which is probably about 70 -71mph on this car and it was showing 4,000 rpm. Much better all round.

It took an awful lot of finding but if you ever experience unexplained low compression and the valves and rings are fine, don't discount the camshaft as a possible cause.

Tim R

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Tim,
Glad your car is running better. I don't understand how your speed to rpm relationship could change if all that changed was the cam.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Tim,
Glad your car is running better. I don't understand how your speed to rpm relationship could change if all that changed was the cam.
Agreed, the acceleration could improve... The car may feel less strained ... But the rpm to MPH is purely related to the gearing .. so unless the gear ratios, tyre and wheel diameter or rear end ratio changed there should be NO change in rpm vs speed

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Re, gearing/RPM/speed...

One little fact was missed/forgotten...

Tim's Alpine has an AUTO trans...

DW

Last edited:

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
The car is engaging all three gears in the auto box correctly and has been throughout. I don't claim to know HOW the revs to mph are different but they certainly are. The only thing that has changed is the camshaft but the engine is turning less revs to deliver a higher speed, it is like a different car now. We have had this car for over 20 years, it ran well until the problematic camshaft was fitted during a full engine rebuild about 8 years ago. Now that that camshaft is out and changed back to a standard one the car is running well once more.
Tim R