• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 backfire (and other fun)

elkslayer

Donation Time
Had the same problem on my series five.All new parts plugs wires everything. Went to a weber and same thing.Found out it was a bad new plug. Changed it out purrs like a kitten for over two years now.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
You said you had an Electric Fuel Pump on your vehicle.....

Interesting thread. My SV suffered backfiring and it turned out to be retarded timing, enough that it overheated the exhaust manifold until it developed a hair line crack. I too suffered from flaky fuel tanks and plugged filters and carbs. I have an electronic ignition system and an electric fuel pump. ........

In your quote above " I have an electric fuel pump....."

What kind? Mfg's name and Model No. if you don't mind....

I'm very much interested in converting to Electric on my '67SV.

DID YOU INSTALL IT? WHAT OTHER PARTS OR COMPONENTS DID YOU HAVE TO HAVE?

Thanks for any help,

DanR

mferris

Donation Time
I haven't had a chance to get to the car yet - will do so on Sunday. But I did take out one plug at a time while running - just to see if they were all firing, and yes - the cadence certainly changed when I pulled each of the plugs individually.

I went ahead and ordered a 32/36 rebuild kit today - in the (likely) scenario that the ignition doesn't completely fix it. Hopefully I won't have to touch it.

Regardless - after pounding on the brake calipers for a few hours the other day and successfully getting those rebuilt (well - aside from a grabby left front caliper compared to the right and I can't find any air bubbles in the line) - I'm having a blast spending $5 here and there on the engine.