• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

“engine turned†dashes *feeler*

the ghoul

Donation Time
Hi all,
Ever since I posted pictures of this “engine turned†dash I made for my series II I’ve been getting pms about once a year asking if I’d consider selling it. I never really had the time or the inclination to do so because there is a lot of labor involved and I don’t have much time. At work today we got notice that we will be placed on “furlough†for the next 6 months or so (basically one unpaid day off a week). I just so happened to get contacted by someone else looking to buy one of these dashes off of me (what timing).
I think I will start making these and offer them for $300 shipped anywhere in the US.
Dash is made of aluminum structural material with a thin sheet of engine turned stainless steel as a face plate. Since I will be hand making each of these I will be able to omit or add any gauges or features per customer request and as long as it is not anything too over the top it should be at no extra charge. I designed this dash to be a direct stock replacement meaning all stock hardware and gauges should be reusable.
Please post any ideas or if you would like to be contacted once I start producing them.

11-30-08001.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
was always a nice looking dash that one.. just remember though, you are one of he very few people that have the late SII/early S3 heater escutcheon, 99% of people wont have that, so they will need to make other arrangements for labeling. ;)

very Bugatti!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
was always a nice looking dash that one.. just remember though, you are one of he very few people that have the late SII/early S3 heater escutcheon, 99% of people wont have that, so they will need to make other arrangements for labeling. ;)

very Bugatti!

I was going to raise the same point as Michael. I have always admired your dash and was going to try to do the same thing (my thinking was to turn a thin piece of aluminum that could be glued on to a stock SV bakelite dash once the vinyl was removed). However, buying one of yours is certainly inviting, but the escutcheon would be an issue that would have to be resolved.

p.s. Sorry about the furlough.

the ghoul

Donation Time
I was going to raise the same point as Michael. I have always admired your dash and was going to try to do the same thing (my thinking was to turn a thin piece of aluminum that could be glued on to a stock SV bakelite dash once the vinyl was removed). However, buying one of yours is certainly inviting, but the escutcheon would be an issue that would have to be resolved.

p.s. Sorry about the furlough.

Thankyou!
I origionally tried turning the aluminum, it was too soft for the wire brush I was using and ended up guling something bad.

I had a series 6 dash for a while but never paid attention.. If some one could please post a pic of the difference I'm sure I can do some re-configuring.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
You need to sign each one you sell maybe on the back or somewere out of the way. just sayin they may be collector items in years to come!:cool:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Very nice

Wasn't that method called spot facing? As I understand the old school process it was done on a drill press with a wooden dowel and valve grinding compound.
Very time consuming, not any room for error. Nice.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Ghoul,

Take a look at Cratex rubberized abrasive rods. I think you will find that they do a much better job than a wire brush.

Mike

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I had a series 6 dash for a while but never paid attention.. If some one could please post a pic of the difference I'm sure I can do some re-configuring.

I have both S3 and SV dashes at home and will post photos over the weekend if no one beats me to it.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I just remembered that I'd forgotten to take some pictures over the weekend and just corrected that. Here is a picture of a S3 dash with a SV heater bezel resting in the existing mounting holes:

image5ks.jpg

You can see in the photo that the chrome part of the bezel rests on top of the raised rim around the clock opening. It may be a little hard to see, but the openings in the dashboard don't exactly match up to the plate. Since the heater controls are attached to the bezel, it would probably create problems if one tried to use a SV plate on a S3 dash. You can't see this in the picture, but it was also a pretty tight fit. You'd probably have to enlarge the mounting holes just a bit.

For reference, here is the same area from a SV dash. You can see the shadow of where the bezel went. I didn't measure but would guess that it is just a hair higher on the SV than the S3.

image6hf.jpg

Just for completeness, here is a close up of the back side, which is pretty different than the mounting area on the S3.

image7om.jpg

Now, while they are pretty different, I don't think there is anything to stop someone from using a SV plate with your custom dash. There is no lip around the clock hole, so that would be ok. It might be advisable to slightly enlarge the mounting holes and the slot where the switch levers go, or just use a later plate as a template.

Hope this helps.

the ghoul

Donation Time
Thank you every one for the positve feed back here...
Jim thank you for the pictures. I will have to look at how I can make a universal one as suggested.
Mike, I will be sure to look into that.. a more consistant profile to them would be helpfull.

Looks like I will be getting a batch of blanks thru the shop so if any one wants something other than stock please drop me a line (Bill you should have a PM from me).

As soon as I get finished product I will start posting pictures and taking orders.

thank you all again
-Kevin

the ghoul

Donation Time
In need of help with these...
I have templates cut of a few different size gauge openings. Would some one with a v5 that would be willing to test fit your gauges/lights/switches and heater controls please get in touch with me. It would be ideal if had a set of calipers so that if Im off on a dimension we can get an exact measurement. Please PM or email me
I would be more than happy to give you a price brake on one for your time and effort.

beamcat

Donation Time

very Bugatti!

That would be my car; a late S II, however, my ignition lamp is in the tach, not next to the key like the dash in the picture.

alpine_64

Donation Time
That would be my car; a late S II, however, my ignition lamp is in the tach, not next to the key like the dash in the picture.

All the SI/Ii cars had the warning lamps in the tach and speedo. The sides for the ignition and high beam switched during production.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I'm a little confused. So the dash in the pic is for a S III?

Ken there are a few pictures in the thread.

the turned dash at the start of the thread would be correct for a S3-V in that it has warning lamps mounted on the dash.. but it features the perspex heater escutcheon featured on the late SII and the S3 ST cars.

The photos of the 2 black dashes are for the early cars and SIV/V ST

the one with raised areas around the gauges is an early style dash and Jim has overlayed the late style SIV/V heater control panel on it to show the interference of that style wit the early raised dash setup. the one that is vinyl covered is the SIV?V ST setup.